S.E Hinton

S.E+Hinton

Emma Alford, Journalist

S.E Hinton

S.E Hinton, also known as Susan Eloise Hinton, was born on July 22, 1948, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She is a famous writer who penned the book The Outsiders, which was immensely popular in the 1960s. She first published this book in 1967, and it has since sold over 15 million copies. This book was recommended for high school and middle school students. What’s more surprising is that when S.E. Hinton wrote this, she was still a high school student.

Some other books she had written are That Was Then, This Is Now, Rumble Fish, Tex, Taming The Star Runner, Hawks Harbor, Big David, Little David, New Longman, and Yesterday. Now you can see that S.E Hinton has written a lot of different types of books. All of the books she had written are all unique and different; she wrote children’s, middle school-level, high school-level, and adult-level books. What’s more interesting is that some of her books turned into movies, for example, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, Tex, That Was This, This Is Now, Psych: The movie, One FAst Move Then I’m Gone, and lastly Legend of Billy Fail.

Some fascinating information I discovered included the fact that gangs at her school inspired The Outsiders and that she had no plans to publish the book, which is unexpected to me because if she had not published the book, no one would have known about it and no one would have been able to read it. There was also the fact that Hinton’s publisher suggested that Hinton used her initials to avoid unnecessary favoritism towards her gender which shows that there was still a problem with gender equality.