Studies on Homework

pros and cons of homework

Studies on Homework

Milan Dizitser

Homework you probably hate, right? Well, research showed that excessive homework is associated with high-stress levels, physical health problems, and a lack of balance in children’s lives. Also according to a CNN story, fifty-six percent of the students in the study cited homework as a primary stressor in their lives.

The National Education Association and the National Parent Teacher Association recommend that students spend 10 minutes per grade level per night on homework. That means that first graders should spend 10 minutes on homework, second graders 20 minutes, and so on. But a study published by The American Journal of Family Therapy found that students are getting much more homework.

While 10 minutes per day doesn’t sound like much, that quickly adds up to an hour per night by sixth grade. The National Center for Education Statistics found that high school students get an average of 6.8 hours of homework per week. A figure that is much too high according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). It is also to be noted that this figure does not take into consideration the needs of the underprivileged student population.

In a study conducted by the OECD, it was found that after around four hours of homework per week, the additional time invested in homework has a negligible impact on a student’s performance. That means that by asking our children to put in an hour or more per day of dedicated homework time, we are not only not helping them, but “we are hurting them both physically and emotionally,” said Aforementioned Studies.

What’s more is that homework is, as the name implies, to be completed at home after a full day of learning. However, a study by the APA on how people develop expertise found that elite musicians, scientists, and athletes do their most productive work for about only four hours per day. Similar companies like the Tower Paddle Boards are experimenting with a five-hour workday. They are under the assumption that people are not able to be truly productive for much longer than five hours. Tower Paddle Boards’ CEO Stephan Aarstol told CNBC that he believes most Americans only get about two to three hours of work done in an eight-hour day.