Student Council: A Q&A With Anushka Punjabi

Katherine Lu, Journalist/Editor

The Student Council is a very important part of Bowditch Middle School. They oversee school events, organize fundraisers and food drives, and so much more. Here’s an interview with Anushka Punjabi, a Student Council member, that will hopefully answer many of your Student Council-related questions.

Question: How long have you been on the Student Council?

Answer: I joined the Bowditch Student Council this year.

Question: Have you ever been involved in any Student Council before Bowditch’s?

Answer: Yes, although I would say the Student Council in my elementary school (Brewer Island Elementary) didn’t have an election process, so essentially, it was free for anyone to join. There were some leaders chosen by the teacher. At my elementary school, we hosted drives like Project Night Night, which donates stuffed animals, blankets, and books to children in need, about once a year.

Question: Why did you join the Student Council?

Answer: I think the Student Council gives people leadership opportunities. Being a part of a club or a society helps you to gain knowledge and gives people leadership, communication, problem-solving, group development and management, presentation, and public speaking skills. It’s the best way to meet people. I think if you want to see a change in your environment, you really can’t just leave it to others. If you want to see the change, I believe you need to be the change. So along with gaining skills that would be useful in the future, you can see the positive change that you cause in the school, so it’s pretty amazing to be able to be a part of that.

Question: Do you enjoy being on the Student Council?

Answer: Short answer, yes. I meet amazing people, and I hope to run for the student body in high school.

Question: What is the most rewarding part of being on the Student Council?

Answer: Probably the fact that I meet so many amazing people, and make friends on the team. Additionally, we can give back to our community, which, in my personal opinion, is awesome. Whether it is through events for the school, spirit days, or organizing a drive to give back, I think every action makes a difference. Students can be involved on campus because they see that their time is worth the benefits they receive, like the friendships, the level of involvement across campus, and the amount of fun we have as a team!

Question: What is one thing challenging about being on the Student Council?

Answer: Putting up with Cayden. Just kidding! Making posters and online flyers, ideas for Spirit Days, and having our morning announcements all planned out within a timeframe is pretty challenging. But for that, we split up into smaller groups to work on different things, which I would say is a pretty good way for us to use time and get a lot done.

Question: What do you do in the Student Council?

Answer: If you’ve heard the announcements every day in 2nd period, that’s just a small part of what we do. We also run Student Council elections every year for the 6th graders, and organize all the Spirit Days for students to take part in!

Question: What advice would you give to someone who wants to join the Student Council?

Answer: I would say make sure to make lots of friends and have fun throughout the process. Being on Student Council shouldn’t be a burden, but something that you look forward to every week. Make sure to pay attention to school too! You need a certain average or higher in each class to meet the requirements of the Student Body. Because school comes first!

Well, there you have it! An insider’s account of what it’s like being a Student Council member! The Student Council does so much for Bowditch Middle School. Without them, this school wouldn’t be the same.

Source: Anushka Punjabi (Interview conducted over Gmail)

Image Source: https://bowditch.smfcsd.net/