Jeff Kinney

Jeff Kinney

Parker Jessup, Journalist

Jeff Kinney was born on February 19, 1971 and grew up in Fort Washington, Maryland. Jeff has 3 siblings, an older brother, an older sister, and a younger sister. Jeff’s parents’ names are Bruce Kinney and Madeline Kinney. He attended Bishop  Mcnamara High School. He then went to the University of Maryland in College Park. While there Jeff created his famous comic strip called the Diamondback. This famous comic strip inspired Jeff to become a Cartoonist. Jeff started to work on Diary of a Wimpy Kid sometime in 1998 but it wasn’t published until 2007. The second book, “Rodrick Rules,” came out in 2008 followed by a do it yourself version with a revised version in 2011. In 2009 both “Dog Days” and “The Last Straw” were released. Then in 2010 the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie was released, same with “The Ugly Truth”. In 2011 “Cabin Fever” was released. The series was very popular with a total of 42 million copies sold from 2007-2010. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie was released on March 25, 2011, in which Jeff was an executive producer. Jeff also made it onto New York’s number one best selling author list in 2007. Jeff also made it on the top 100 most influential people. Jeff also won the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award in 2009. Jeff likes to work online as a game developer and designer. Jeff currently lives in Plainville, Southern Massachusetts with his wife, Julie and their two sons, Will and Grant. The publication order of the books is “Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rodrick rules, The Last Straw, Dog Days, The Ugly Truth, Cabin Fever, The Third Wheel, Hard Luck, Long Haul, Old School, Double Down, The Getaway, The Meltdown, The Wrecking Ball, The Deep End, and The Big Shot.”