Gali Aseo Moving To America

Allison Dodge, Journalist

I interviewed Gali Aseo on her immigration experience from Israel to America. She was 6 years old when she moved and it was her first time doing so. Gali is now 12 years old and is a student at Bowditch Middle School. Gali remembers her experience pretty well and has agreed to talk about it.

How did you find out?

When I was 6 years old my parents took me and my older brother to a fancy restaurant in Israel. This was a few days after my brother’s birthday. I sat next to my brother on my right, and across from my Mother. My parents first ordered me a glass of apple juice. When the waiter got back my Father ordered all of our food; I got pasta. I remember my Mom ordering me a banana dessert with chocolate drizzle after I finished my main course to share with my brother. After we finished eating, we stayed sitting because my parents told us they had important news. My parents told me and my brother that we were moving to America for my Father’s job. They said we were going to move to California, in a few months.

How were you feeling?

I was feeling many emotions. Sad, nervous, excited, etc. I was feeling sad because I had to learn a new language and all my family and friends lived in Israel and I would be leaving them behind. I was nervous because I didn’t think I would make friends because I wouldn’t speak English very well for a while until I learned. I was excited because I had never moved before. The feelings at the time were very overwhelming for me and my brother.

What did you do after the news?

After I heard the news, I stayed seated at the restaurant and cried for about 15 minutes. I finally got up from the seat and walked to the car with my head down. When I got home, I took a shower and then immediately went to sleep because it was late. In the morning we didn’t do much to prepare for the move since it was around a month away. About a week before the moving date, my brother and I went to our Grandma’s house so the movers and my parents could finish packing and moving furniture without us getting in the way.

What happened when you arrived?

Later, we drove to the airport and got on the plane. After the flight, we got off and met our family friends at the airport to greet us. We all went to Starbucks and then my family and I drove a rental car to our new house. Meanwhile, our stuff was on a cargo ship being delivered to our house. When I first saw the house I thought it looked really nice. My favorite part was the kitchen with a really cool island. When the shipments came, we all started bringing things inside and unpacking boxes. While the front door was open due to bringing things inside, my cat Jelly managed to run out without us knowing. When we realized she wasn’t in her pet carrier, we started looking around the house for her but then saw the door was open and thought she must have run out. Around 15 minutes later, we were still searching frantically to find her until a man holding Jelly knocked at the door. He asked if she was our cat, and we said yes. We immediately took her in and thanked the man who turned out to be our neighbor.

Conclusion

Overall, my moving experience was great. Even though there were some ups and downs, the majority of it was fun. Living in Israel and America are very different. Israel is much hotter than America, so it took a while to adjust to the new temperature. I like the weather here much better. It’s also different since there are more women’s sports here in America than Israel which is good. I do really miss my family there and will be visiting them soon.