Who is Alex Morgan?

Allison Dodge, Journalist

Who is Alex Morgan? Alexandra Morgan Carrasco is a professional soccer player for the Orlando Pride National Women’s Soccer League, also known as the NWSL. Her jersey number is 13 and her position on the field is usually a middle forward. She was born in San Dimas, California on July 2nd 1989. She is currently 31 years old living in South Florida with her husband Servando Carrasco. Alex Morgan started playing soccer at the age of 14 at Diamond Bar High school in California. She graduated high school with a scholarship to UC Berkeley to play soccer on the Golden Bears Team starting in 2007. In 2010, she graduated a year early getting her degree in Political Economy. Shortly after graduating college, Morgan was drafted number 1 overall in the 2011 WPS Draft by the Western New York Flash.

Alex Morgan has accomplished so many great things in her life that is so inspirational to her fans. She received an Olympic gold medal in 2012 and the FIFA Women’s World Cup with her team in 2015. In 2012, she made a record of scoring 28 goals and collecting 21 assists making her the youngest US player to score that many in a year. She has also received many awards concluding the US Soccer Player of the year in 2018, FIFA FIFPro Women’s World XI in 2019, the Best Female Athlete ESPY Award in 2019, and the Kid’s Choice Award for Favorite Female Sports Star in 2020.

One famous thing Alex Morgan is known for is her pink ribbon she wears as a headband. She started wearing it sophomore year in college in support of her boyfriend’s mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer. If you didn’t know, A pink ribbon is the international symbol of breast cancer awareness. There is even a breast cancer awareness month which starts on October 1st and ends on October 31st. The headband is made of kinesiology tape to protect athletes from bandages. There are many Youtube videos about it and tutorials on how to put it on if you are interested.

Alex Morgan is a very strong advocate for Women’s Rights involving equal pay. Her and many of her teammates believe that men should not be paid more than women. Her and some of her teammates Carli Loyd, Megan Rapinoe, Rebecca Sauerbrunn, and Hope Solo filed a complaint against the US Soccer Federation for the US Women’s Team to get paid the same amount as the US Men’s Team. She states it isn’t fair how many women are getting unfair treatment all over the world for being female and how women can do anything a man can do. The WNT is only getting paid 40% of what the MNT is getting paid even though they have won 4 national championships. The MNT has won 0 championships and the only reason Morgan can come up with why they get paid more is because they are male.

Overall, Alex Morgan is an amazing record breaking star who inspires so many people that their dreams can come true. She wanted to become a professional soccer player at the age 14 and never stopped working for it until she got it. She has earned respect on the soccer field due to her dedication, good deeds, and great sportsmanship.