Coming Out

Coming+Out

Kylee Ngo, Journalist

People in the LGBTQ community are still fighting for acceptance. They should come out at some point in their life. No matter the age, it’s not an easy task. Coming out to family and friends is so hard because of the fear of rejection. Unfortunately, everyone takes it differently. Some may be happy, others disappointed or mad, and some might not even care. Julia Streeter is a fellow student at Bowditch Middle School, and she recently came out as bisexual to her family. Here are a few things Julia has to say based on her experience.  

Bisexual

Now you may be wondering, when did Julia realize she was bisexual? Julia states, “I found out I was Bi sometime in February of 2020. I knew because I started having a crush on a girl the same way I would a boy.” So if you didn’t know this already, someone who is bisexual is someone who is romantically attracted to both boys and girls. So in the past, Julia has also had a crush on boys. 

The Process

A couple of days after Julia found her crush on the girl, she told her dad and her mom the day after. They were thankfully very supportive. Julia told her dad before because she was more nervous about her mom. “I was the least nervous for my dad because he is really chill and I knew he would take it well. I was the most nervous to tell my mom because she’s really intense sometimes. She has communicated before that she supports LGBTQ so I knew she wasn’t going to be mad or anything. I just had an unexplainable fear to tell her but it all worked out,” Julia explained. This however is only Julia’s experience. She continues saying, “In many other families, even in foster city, there are parents and relatives that are less accepting and might reject their kids because of their religion, how said parents were raised, and other reasons.” 

Feelings

“How did you feel before telling them?” Julia says that she felt like every other person would feel. Nervous. She described that her head was burning up, and there was an unexplainable fear of rejection. She knew that they would accept her, but she still felt nervous. But can you blame her? This is such a big part of her life so it’s expected for her to feel nervous and scared. 

Coming Out

Julia just went straight to the point when telling her dad. She simply, but nervously, said, “I think I have a crush on a girl.” She explains the rest is pretty much a blur. His reaction was collected and supportive. Her mom on the other hand, was a little different. Julia doesn’t know what her statement was, but after she was done her mom was “Grilling me by asking what do I like about this girl, my mom does this for every crush I have so it wasn’t homophobic or anything it was just really stressful for me because I didn’t even entirely know why I liked her, I just did,” Julia said. In the end, her mom was also supportive. 

The Aftermath

I asked Julia, “How did you feel after you told them?” Julia responded with, “Honestly, there wasn’t that much relief because I was still processing it myself. The relief slowly came over time as I learned more about my sexuality and accepted myself more and more.” She also described that they don’t treat her any differently than before. 

Advice

“This advice isn’t for everyone because my situation was much more fortunate and different than someone in a homophobic family. But for people who are in families that support LGBTQ, tell your parents whenever and however it makes you feel comfortable, but I would do it as soon as you can because once you know your parents accept you, it makes it so much easier to accept yourself. Also, it’s better that your parents know because then you can be yourself around them, and you don’t have to pretend.” -Julia Streeter

In conclusion, coming out is a very personal process. This is only Julia’s personal experience, but everyone is going to react differently. Nevertheless, I hope I have given you some new knowledge, you enjoyed reading about Julia’s thoughts and experiences.