Google Meet

Stella Shih, Journalist

What is Google Meet? As you probably know, Google Meet is a video-communication service that was made by Google. It’s very easy to use, and it’s used for online classes here at Bowditch Middle School. It was launched in 2017, and recently became free as a part of G-Suite for Education. You can create, join, and invite others to the meeting you are in. The easiest way is to send the link to the meeting. Most students join a meet by clicking on the link that the teacher provides.

Google Meet can have up to 100 participants. Before you go into the meeting, you can adjust your microphone and camera before you join. You can also get a preview of who’s in the meeting already.

Some of its many features include being able to screen share, messaging through the chat, and adjustable layout options for the hosts. The hosts are able to mute other participants or remove them from the meeting. Google meet  is also compatible with many different devices.

What do students think about google meet? Amelia, 12, says that she likes “How easy it is to get into my meet…. easy access”. Nia, 12, says that she finds the chat feature useful, how “It’s easy to ask questions in the chat to the entire class rather than always having to unmute to ask a question.” On the other hand, students interviewed mentioned improvements they would like too. Zoe, 12, said that she thinks google meet “should add virtual backgrounds”. It is possible to have virtual backgrounds in google meet, but you would have to install a third-party extension. Meilin, 12, says, “I think that breakout rooms would be a great addition to Google Meet. Many of my teachers split up my classes into groups to do activities, and I think it would be easier to manage that with breakout rooms.” 

Updates are coming soon to Google Meet! Features that will come later this year are the ability for teachers to track the attendance and select who can share their screens and use the chat.. Another interesting feature is that hosts will be able to create breakout rooms inside the meeting. They can set time limits for how long each meeting will be, and they can shuffle the people in each room.