Private Schools vs. Public Schools

Evelyn Su, Journalists

When it comes to education, parents want the best for their children, so the youths can have a better future. 

Public schools are provided with enough money from the state to make the school. Around ninety percent of children today are in public schools, according to Public School Reviews. Private schools are supported only by the creator or organizer’s money. Although the private schools are expensive, they make a lot of money from the students, because of the tuition students have to pay to attend the school. Public schools are offered for children, which means the schools do not take EXTRA money from the families of the students. However, a part of the taxes families pays the state goes to the schools. Public schools also have fundraisers held for money, which private schools typically do not. Private schools do not have extra money, so their system has to spend their money wisely, often not having play structures and combining grades to share classes, because the rent is also very expensive. Although money could be tight for private middle schools, because many students decide to go to a public school for middle school, many private elementary schools offer a playground because they believe younger students need exercise. 

Money is one of the key factors in choosing schools. Many other factors also include religion, location, academic programs, reputation, and size. Many public schools offer transportation to and from school, which you need to pay extra for and is often sub-par. Private schools, on the other hand, may or may not. If private schools offer a way of transportation, the payment for it is included in the tuition. Private schools are often different from public schools, having a wider variety of curriculums, including career education. Although more choices are provided, they depend on the school. If the students all have different interests and the knowledge of the teachers is limited, the school cannot provide as many different classes. Public schools have to listen to the district’s instructions, having only the basic classes, including math, language arts, physical education, science, social studies, and some have a foreign language and music classes. The courses provided in private schools depend on the location, for example in California, many career choices include data engineering and computer science, so that may be a course.

Another factor is the size of the school or each class. Parents may prefer their children to interact more, enrolling in public schools, or to pay teachers to have more one on one conversations and sessions with their child. This may help the child get more information and help the student with their weaknesses. 

Usually, private schools only provide certain grades, so students have to transfer in and out of the school. This is problematic because the family has to fill out many more forms than needed. This can also be a problem because the student has to remake friends in their new school, but this could be good because they will learn how to make new friends. 

Uniforms are also a major impact on choosing a student’s future school. Not all private schools have uniforms, but no public schools require uniforms. 

Overall, most parents send their children to public schools over private schools. According to Quora, there are only 780 private schools in California. The number of private schools compared to the number of public schools in California is more than 3,000, which is very very low. Guardians also consider the payment, either paying their taxes only or extra money in addition to the taxes.