Why Memes Are So Popular

77

1

Anna Martins, Journalist

Memes can help many people understand different ideas through funny pictures rather than boring words, which is why many people enjoy scrolling through their phones and making memes. 

Memes are “an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture, 2: an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online, especially through social media” (Merriam-webster). But have you ever wondered why memes are so popular?   

The reason why memes are so popular is that they are easy to make and share. Plus, they are free and funny. Let’s talk about the most popular memes, for example, take a look at this one.

This happens a lot, but most commonly in 6th grade when you ask your teacher “Can I go to the bathroom?”

And she looks at you and says, “Can you?” don’t you hate that? Haha. And do you ever feel like just standing up and going to the bathroom to make them mad? The captions are important to memes because if they did not have any words, it would be just a picture and would not be funny, because it would make no sense. 

People can relate a lot to this a lot because teachers always try to move the troublesome students to the other side of the classroom. But the teachers forget that the student has friends on the other side, just like the song from The Princess and The Frog, “But I’ve got friends on the other side.” This meme is relatable because this happens to a lot of people, including me.

Overall, I’m trying to point out that memes are a trend because they are amusing and relatable at the same time.  It is not only because of the pictures, but the words help make it even funnier because sometimes the pictures aren’t funny on their own.