Avatar The Last Airbender

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avatar The Last Airbender

Gabriel Wong, Editor

Avatar The Last Airbender

The series starts in an Asiatic world, where there are four regions, one for each “bending” element. Bending is using the four bending elements. The element are water, earth, fire, and air. Each region can use one element but every one hundred years an avatar is born. The avatar can wield all four elements and can access the avatar state. The avatar state is an ability that heightens the avatars abilities bast that of the normal bender. The avatar state gives the avatar the knowledge of combat that all the other past avatars have had. There are also hybrid and mythical animals, which can be tamed by humans. They are useful as transportation, combat, and even more.

The series follows the main characters, Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Zuko. They travel the world in search of the proper tools for Aang, the current avatar, to defeat the oppressive fire lord, Zuko’s father. His plans on world domination rest on the shoulders of “Team Avatar” as they train for the final fight.

Aang is the avatar, and the last surviving air nomad from the Air Temple. They were all wiped out when the Fire Nation figured out that the new avatar in the cycle was an airbender. Before the Fire Nation arrived however, Aang decided to run away from his responsibilities. This led to Aang’s supposed death in the icy cold of the Water Tribe. He was only awakened when Katara and Sokka found him in the ice. Aang is abnormally powerful and can control the elements as one of the best. However, his friends are stronger in their home elements.

Katara is the Northern Water Tribe’s last waterbender. The rest were stolen and killed by the Fire Nation. The tribe was left unguarded in the absence of the warriors when they tried to pursue the raiders. Katara is one of the best waterbenders of her time and the current strongest waterbender called her his protege. She also learned a secret and deadly technique, blood bending. On a full moon, when waterbenders and tides are at their strongest, they can use the water in people’s blood to maneuver them against their will. She learned this unwillingly to save her friends, but learned it nonetheless.

Sokka is the last stand of the Water Tribe. He was a child when the Water Tribe warriors left for battle and was the sole protector of the water tribe. He has no bending ability, but has a quick wit and is an expert swordsman. He was trained by the best swordmaster in the Fire Nation, under an assumed name, and was one of his best students. He also carries a metal boomerang, which he has wielded all his life and is one of most cunning tools. He is the strategizer of the team, and is seen as the comic relief. Slowly but surely, he has stepped out of the shadow of his peers and now is a valuable member of the team.

Toph is the world’s greatest earthbender. However, she is blind. This is also a plus, because she was taught a sacred technique by the two ancient badger-moles (mythical animals in the series who created earthbending). This lets her “see” vibrations in the earth to turn into a picture, similar to an ultrasound. This allows her to take in all the variables in a situation and use them to her advantage. She is second to none in the earthbending professional league and is only rivaled by the (maybe) greatest earthbender in the world. She has also developed a new earthbending technique that none have seen before, metalbending. Using the raw materials in refined metals she can alter them to do her bidding. However, if the metal is pure without any traces of debris, she is unable to bend it. She has performed feets unimaginable to humans today and is the most powerful member, maybe on level with Aang, on Team Avatar.