4 Creepy ARGs

Back to Article
Back to Article

4 Creepy ARGs

There are many oddities that can be found on the internet, including ARGs. ARG stands for alternate reality game and is an interactive narrative that uses social platforms to tell a story. They are games in the sense that audiences can interact with the narrative. Some can be found as mysterious comments and text posts, while others are set up as videos on platforms such as YouTube. These videos range from odd to funny to just plain creepy. I do not advise reading this article or watching these web series if you are sensitive to mentions of death, blood, jumpscares, and disturbing images. Here are 4 creepy ARGs that can be found on multiple platforms.

The first ARG is on of the most popular and is well known across the internet. It is called Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared (also known as DHMIS) and features Sesame Street-style puppets trapped in a nightmare of events. Created by Becky Sloan and Joseph Pelling, there are currently 6 videos that can be found on their website (http://beckyandjoes.com/dont-hug-me-im-scared). The two directors have amazing attention to detail, as seen in the intricate scenes and music they create for the series.  A short seventh video called Wakey Wakey teasing a whole new storyline came out on September 13, 2018. Fans of the series quickly analysed every aspect of the video, trying to figure out what was happening. The videos that came before Wakey Wakey took about a year to fully understand, and yet there are aspects to the videos that remain a mystery. To this day, fans await the next video in anticipation.

The next ARG is a newer one called POSTcontent that first showed up on December 23, 2018 on YouTube. There are 13 videos at time of writing, with one being uploaded about every other week. The main character is a man who’s house is covered with black plastic, and is haunted by strange demons that make him sick. As the series continues, we start to see the disturbing side of this man, including buckets with bloody gloves and glimpses of bodies wrapped in trash bags. Theories about this ARG include the most possible storyline; this man is a murderer who’s victims are coming back to haunt him. As more videos are created, viewers will get a further glimpse into the disturbing life of the main character.

Another alternate reality game is Tribetwelve, a complicated set of videos and Twitter posts that occur following the death of Noah Maxwell’s cousin Miles. Miles had been visiting Noah and acting strange during the visit, as seen in the videos Noah took while the two visited a boardwalk. After Miles’s death, Naoh began receiving mysterious letters and his Twitter account began getting hacked. Disturbing videos and hidden messages were placed in the middle of Noah’s videos. Connecting these aspects leads us to find out these occurrences are the doing of a group of paranormal entities working for the creature known as Slenderman. Tribetwelve is a favorite among fans, as characters from another ARG called EverymanHYBRID make an appearance.

EverymanHYBRID is another fan favorite that occurs in the same universe as Tribetwelve. This ARG is about three friends who create a workout channel for people stuck inside during the winter. Over the course of their videos, strange events and creatures show up to spoil the mood of their content. EverymanHYBRID is well-known because of a cynical and sarcastic villain known as HABIT. HABIT also makes an appearance in Tribetwelve, surprising viewers with his dark sense of humor. EverymanHYBRID still makes videos to this day, continuing the dark story.

ARGs are fun to analyze and watch, with a huge fanbase that thrives on creepy videos and messages. As more are created, alternate universes will become entangled and continue to scare the audience.