Good Books to Read

Back to Article
Back to Article

Good Books to Read

Cynthia Shi, Journalist/Editor

People often find difficulty in discovering good books to read; as students head into middle school, their selection often narrows, as they have read many books in elementary school. However, reading is a required activity in school, which is why some people will have trouble completing reading logs. To help combat this problem, identified, here, are a handful of engaging books middle school students are sure to enjoy.

The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown, is a worldwide bestseller. This book revolves around the theme of mystery and adventure, and dapples in religious conflicts in Christianity. Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu must unveil many truths, with hints from Leonardo da Vinci and Jacques Sauniere, Sophie’s grandfather. The Da Vinci Code is a thrilling novel full of ingenious plot twists, and is definitely a book worth reading.

Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger

Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger, is the perfect book for people looking for excitement and fantasy. 12 year old Sophie Foster’s world all comes crashing down when she discovers a world hidden from humans; a world including elves, goblins, ogres, gnomes, and dwarves. She develops new abilities, such as inflicting pain and levitation. Follow Sophie’s journey through the seven books of Keeper of the Lost CIties, as she combats a secret evil organization which wants to destroy the world.

The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien

The all time classic, Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien, is a book about Frodo Baggins and his companions traveling to save the world from the dark lord Sauron. Filled with adventure and bravery, Frodo must race to destroy the One Ring before the Dark Lord obtains it once again. A series of six books all containing suspense, heroic acts, and unique characters, Lord of the Rings is a great story! If you enjoy reading the Lord of the Rings, another good book by J. R. R. Tolkien is The Hobbit.

Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard, focuses on a 17 year old teenage girl named Mare Barrow. She, like many others Reds, live under the constant oppression of the Silvers, people with powers unimaginable to the Reds. That is, until the day Mare discovers that she herself contains powers to manipulate electricity. Follow her on a journey to uncover secrets and unleash them into the world, as unexplored phenomenons continue to occur. Living under a false identity, she slowly begins the first rebellion against the powerful Silvers. Red Queen is a series of four amazing books, full of exhilarating twists.

Exodus, by Julie Bertagna

Exodus, by Julie Bertagna, takes place in the distant, dystopian future of 2099. Mara must survive through the drowning world, caused by global warming. As her island, Wing, slowly sinks below the water, she and her family travel by boat to seek safety. Mara slowly uncovers the truth about these so-called safe cities, and builds new friendships.

If you are looking for a good book, give any or all of these a try, or visit any of the various book review sites, such as Bookbub or npr.org for more recommendations. When reading these books, be prepared for thrilling plotlines and an exciting adventure!

Sites:

https://www.bookbub.com/blog/best-book-series-for-teens

https://www.npr.org/2012/08/07/157795366/your-favorites-100-best-ever-teen-novels