Pewdiepie vs T-Series

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pewdiepie vs T-Series

Many people use YouTube, whether it is for educational purposes, listening to music, or for comedy purposes. Over two billion channels are on YouTube, but only one Youtuber is on top. That YouTuber, PewDiePie, was initially a gaming Let’s Play channel, but has now transitioned to a comedy commentary and “meme review”. He has been one of the top YouTubers since 2013. However, in early October another channel named T-Series has been rapidly gaining subscribers and is catching up to PewDiePie.

PewDiePie (Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg) currently has 86 million subscribers (as of February 2019), gaining at least twenty million subscribers in five months. He started his channel in early 2010, and had already passed one million subscribers in July 2012. Pewdiepie’s first videos were of him and his friends playing mainstream games, such as Minecraft and Call of Duty. Arguably, the most popular series he had on his channel was his playthrough of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which led to him playing more horror games. By the end of 2013, he was the fastest growing channel on YouTube, going from 3.5 million to 19 million. (In addition, he was the first Youtuber to reach 15 million subscribers. Around the middle of 2017, he changed his content from video game Let’s Plays to video commentary centered around satire and comedy. However, Pewdiepie has had his fair share of controversy in which he promoted Nazi-related videos – leading to his contract with Disney getting cut off, his Youtube Red series “Scare Pewdiepie Season 2” being cancelled, among other consequences. He has since apologized, and has shown improvement in his video topics, continuing to create new videos. But through all this, his content has been praised as his genuine and unfiltered opinion, and he is seen having fun in all his videos.

Pewdiepie is notable for being a solo creator, creating videos almost daily, with help from editors. He is not part of any network or company, which makes his rise as the most subscribed Youtuber memorable.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, T-Series is an Indian music channel which is run by the company Super Cassettes Industries Private Limited and was founded by Gulshan Kumar in 1983. The channel is mostly known for their Bollywood soundtracks and Indi-pop music. T-Series also has a multi-channel network, in which they have 29 channels that have over 140 million subscribers as of January 2019. T-Series is currently the second most subscribed channel, with a subscriber difference that varies from five thousand to 120 thousand each day. In fact, on February 22, 2019 T-Series surpassed PewDiePie’s subscriber count for roughly eight minutes in which they had about 2000 more subscribers than PewDiePie. However, as of February 25, 2019, T-Series is 121,000 subscribers behind PewDiePie.

Because of the “war” going on with PewDiePie and T-Series, many people have gotten together and have held campaigns to help PewDiePie gain more subscribers. Popular YouTubers such as jacksepticeye (21 million subscribers) and Markiplier (23 million subscribers) have live streamed, urging viewers to subscribe to PewDiePie. Another popular Youtuber is MrBeast, with 15 million subscribers, who bought every local billboard, television spot, and radio spot available in order to help PewDiePie gain more subscribers. Some people have gone as far as hacking 50,000 printers that urged others to subscribe to PewDiePie.

The battle between PewDiePie and T-Series is still ongoing. Which side will you be on? Will you subscribe to PewDiePie and help him stay at the top, or will you subscribe to T-Series and help them overthrow PewDiePie? Links to each channel are below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

https://www.youtube.com/user/tseries