Are We Alone

Behruz Azimov, Journalist/Editor/Writer

Are We Alone

Is it possible that we are not alone in the universe. It is very likely. Before we talk about if alien life could possibly exist in our universe, let us talk about how big the universe is.

The observable universe (how much is able to be seen) is 93 billion light years. What this means is that the to reach the end of the observable universe, you will have to travel at the speed of light for 93 billion years. To give you a better image, the speed of light travels at 186,000 miles per second. In other words, if you were able to travel at the speed of light, you would be able to run around the world 7.5 times in one second. One light year is travelling at the speed of light for 1 year in a row, and that is equivalent to 6 TRILLION miles in a light year. That is very fast, and you would have to travel at this speed for 93 billion years. To give you a perspective, our universe is 14 billion years old. In order to reach the end of the observable universe, you would have to travel 186,000 miles per second or 6 trillion miles a year for 93 billion years, almost 7 times longer than how old our universe is. Our solar system has its planets and its star, and there are about 50 billion solar systems in our galaxy, the Milky Way. Not only this but there are about 1 to 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. That means that there is about Septillion sola

r systems in the observable universe. A better example is that there is 10^22 stars in our universe. That is about 10,000 stars for every grain of sand on Earth. Scientists say that about 5 percent of those stars are similar to our sun. That is about a billion times a billion suns(number is super large that that is closest reference I can get to). Scientists estimate that about every 5 stars that are similar to our sun, 1 of those stars has and earth like planet orbiting it. Given these

numbers, scientist are becoming more and more confident that there is life not only on earth, but beyond earth. Considering these numbers, the chances of us not being the only living species in the universe and there could be other forms of life in the universe is HIGHLY possible.

Earlier in the beginning of January of 2018, NASA claims that they have found unknown microbes in space for the 1st time. This is the 1st time unknown organisms have been found and identified in space. The mysterious microbes have been tested and they are similar to the human genome. This is not the only example showing the possibility of extraterrestrial life. In November of 2018, astronomers announced that the

y had observed repeated bursts of radio waves coming from space. Scientists and astronomers theorize that this is a sign of alien life or alien life trying to contact us. The origin of these radio waves are unknown but many scientists say that they come from billions of light years away, outside of our galaxy, the Milky Way, from black holes or stars that are about to explode. Alien life is very probable also because life thrives in extreme conditions. Wherever scientists go, they see and form of life living there like bacteria. There is life in the extreme cold, extreme heat, underneath ice in Antarctica, in the walls of homes,etc. Life can adapt to any condition, even the most extreme, and in the universe, manly planets have a very extreme habitat. For instance, Mars has a extreme habitat and scientists believe that some microbes on Earth could live on the surface of the Red Planet.

With all of these reasons, it seems very possible that alien life could exist but so far, we have not met aliens, but maybe we will, someday.