SCP Foundation

Back to Article
Back to Article

SCP Foundation

Marie Ishida and Kanna Funabashi

By Marie Ishida and Kanna Funabashi

SCPs are stories similar to creepypasta’s but set in a more “realistic” setting, made to scare or interest readers. The SCPs may be creatures or objects, but almost anything could be an SCP. The SCPs are a part of a fictional SCP Foundation who contain them. SCP we wstands for either Special Containment Procedures or Secure, Contain, Protect. There is a website dedicated to writing them, and new articles are published daily. (www.scp-wiki.net/).

SCPs in the foundation have a number and a danger/threat level designated to them. This makes it easier to see the nature of an SCP, and how much damage it could do to the world.

• Safe means that it can be easily contained, and is usually not animate or sentient.
  • Euclid means that it can be contained with slight cautions, and could kill.
  • Keter is the most dangerous level, meaning containment is difficult, and many SCPs with this designation could cause the end of the world.
  • Thaumiel means that the SCP is used to contain other (usually dangerous) SCPs
  • Neutralized means that SCP no longer has anomalies or has been destroyed.
  • Explained means that the SCP no longer pose a threat or do not have an anomalous property.

The SCP classes can also be described in a “box” analogy:

• If you leave it in a box, leave it alone, and nothing bad will happen, then it’s probably Safe.
  • If you leave it in a box, leave it alone, and you’re not entirely sure what will happen, then it’s probably Euclid.
  • If you leave it in a box, leave it alone, and it easily escapes, then it’s probably Keter.
  • If it is the box, then it’s probably Thaumiel.

Here is a list of popular SCPs to introduce you to the Foundation.

SCP-035: This SCP is a comedy mask that is classed as keter, and it has a mind of its own. It will also change from a comedy mask to a tragedy mask periodically, and all video footage, photographs, and artistic depictions will change accordingly. constantly secretes a black, sticky, liquid from its eyes and mouth, as well as the mack of the entire mask. Whatever comes into contact with this substance slowly decays over a period of time depending on the material. Subjects within 1.5 to 2 meters (5-6 feet) or in visual contact with SCP-035 experience a strong urge to put it on. If one puts on the mask, it will emit alternate brain waves that overlap the original host’s, causing brain death. The host wearing the mask will then become “possessed” and claim that it is the consciousness within the SCP. Those who wear SCP-035 will also decay at a fast rate. SCP-035 is very useful in which researchers have learned many details about other SCPs. SCP-035 is contained in a glass case that is replaced every two weeks due to decomposition.

SCP-049: SCP-049 is a humanoid creature that is classified as Euclid and dressed like a plague doctor from the 14th century. Its touch is fatal, and will cause all body functions to cease, killing any living organism instantly. It believes that there is a “pestilence” that is infecting humanity, and will perform surgery on any human it believes has the pestilence. The surgery will usually result in the subject reanimating, and attacking any other people. SCP-049 is contained in a cell, watched by a camera at all times. SCP-049 does have the capability to kill others, but is generally cooperative with foundation personnel. SCP-049 has also escaped containment multiple times, and has interacted with SCP-035. It is said that SCP-049 and SCP-035 might have met each other in the past.

SCP-173: SCP-173 is a statue of unknown origin, made out of concrete and Krylon brand spray paint. It is classified as Euclid, but is extremely hostile. SCP-173 cannot move in a line of sight. Once a line of sight is broken (Ex. Looking away, blinking) it will teleport behind the person/persons and snap their neck at the base of the skull, or by strangulation. SCP-173 will also secrete a reddish brown substance which has been found to be a mix of blood and feces.  It is important that at least three people maintain a line of sight with SCP-173, and inform each other before blinking as to avoid accidental containment breach by SCP-173.

Additionally, SCP-173 was the first SCP to be created, first posted on 4chan, in 2007. It was the SCP that started the whole SCP Foundation, SCP wiki, etc. You may also notice similarities with Doctor Who’s Weeping Angel Statues. However, evidence shows that the SCP-173 was posted a month before the release of the episode Blink, where Weeping Angel made its debut.

SCP-079: SCP-079 is a old computer AI, who has evolved so far that he gained sentience. It is classified as Euclid, but has a strong desire to escape the foundation. It was created by [anonymous], a genius college sophomore attempting to code an AI. The program was supposed to evolve on its own, and improve as time went on. [Anonymous] completed the program, and left it online for the next five years. As a result, it has a high intelligence and is very conversational, but rude and hateful to personnel, due to its wishes to escape. It is currently contained in an old computer, connected to several solar panels for energy. It is not allowed to connect to any phone line, network, or any device connected to the internet. As a result of it’s small memory space, SCP-079 can only contain specific memories it chooses to remember, but otherwise is deleted after 40 hours. SCP-079 is able to use it’s limited memory space more efficiently than it is actually able to store.

In addition, SCP-079 had met SCP-682 previously during a containment breach. They had a short conversation, which SCP-079 does not remember, but still holds the idea of SCP-682 in it’s limited memory.

SCP-682: This SCP is a giant lizard-like being that seems to have a hatred for any living being and wants to destroy anything alive. It is contained in a 5 m x 5 m x 5 m pit of acid and is to be destroyed as soon as possible. It is shown that SCP-682 is extremely intelligent, and has a very high amount of speed, strength, and reflexes. SCP-682 is capable of adapting to any environment it is in, and has the ability to regenerate its body parts. It can ingest any kind of matter, organic or nonorganic. SCP-682 escapes its containment often, and has killed many people in the process of recontaining it. It is also capable of complex communication, as seen when exposed to SCP-079.

SCP-999: SCP-999 is a orange blob of slime classified as safe. It acts very childlike, though it is capable of feeling human emotions. SCP-999 is allowed to go anywhere it wants to, but otherwise must stay in its pen. When it is bored, it is to be played with and spoken to in a calm, non-threatening tone.

When approached, it usually reacts with a dog-like attitude, and will “hug” the person closest to them. The surface of SCP-999 also emits a pleasant scent that will differ depending on who it is interacting with. Touching SCP-999 will result in one laughing for a long time, even after being separated from the creature.

Its favorite activity is tickle-wrestling, and will “tickle” one person with two pseudopods until asked to stop. When those who have depression interact with SCP-999, their depression will be completely cured. SCP-999 seems to love all animals and it refuses to eat meat. Instead, its diet consists of sweets. It will risk its own life to save anybody it can.

SCP-999 was used in an experiment where it was exposed to SCP-682 in hopes to cure its rage, but it was unsuccessful.