Card Games to Play with Family and Friends

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jessica Li, Journalist

Have you ever been bored and at home on a rainy day with nothing to do? If you have, these are some fun card games to play to pass the time.

Black Jack

Black Jack can be played by 4-6 people. Each player receives 7 cards, the remaining cards are used as stock. A starting card is placed in the middle of the players. The first player must put down a card over the starting card, and that card must match the starting card in suit or rank. If they don’t have a card that matches, they must take a card from the deck. The player must put down all of their cards that match the starting card until they have no more or until they put down an action card.

Action cards are:

2- The next person picks up two cards, unless they put down a 2 too. Then the next person takes four cards

8- The next person skips their turn

Black Jack- The next person picks up 5 cards, two Black Jacks mean the next person takes 10 cards

Queen- Put down another card, it doesn’t matter what rank or suit

King- Reverse player order

Image result for cards

Spoons

Spoons can be played by four to eight people. The players are each given 4 cards. Spoons are placed in the middle of the players, and the number of spoons is determined by the number of players. The number of spoons has to be one less than the number of players. For example, if there are 5 players, there should be only 4 spoons. If there are 7 players, there should only be 6 spoons.

Two players are given roles. One is the dealer, the other is the garbage. The dealer must take cards from the deck pass it on to other players, but only if they don’t want that particular card. Each player must remove one card from their deck and give it to the garbage. The garbage is the the last person. They must throw all the unwanted cards onto the middle of the table, or floor.

The goal of this game is to get four of the same card. When you do that, you must sneakily take a spoon from the middle. Other players have to quickly grab the remaining spoons. Whoever is unable to grab a spoon loses.

Related image

War

War is a two person card game. Each person receives 26 cards each. Half of the deck. Each player puts their deck of cards face down in front of them. Then they each turn up a card at the same time and the player with the higher card will take both cards and put them, face down, at the bottom of his stack.

If the cards are the same rank, it is War. Each player will turn up one card face down and one card face up. The player with the higher cards takes both piles: 6 cards. If the turned-up cards are the same rank again, each player places another card face down and turns another card face up. The player with the higher card takes all 10 cards, and so on.

The objective of this game is to gain all cards.

Garbage

Garbage is also a two person game. You only need a deck of cards for this game. The objective of this game is to complete a sequence of ten cards: Ace to 10.

To set up, you must deal 10 cards to each player, then place the remaining deck of cards in between. The cards should face down and be set up into two rows of five. Once you’re ready, you can begin.

First, one player takes a card from the deck and if it is an ace or number, you switch it out with one of the cards in the rows. Jacks are wild cards. They can substitute for any card. Queens and kings are dead cards. They cannot be switched out with any card in the rows.

For example, if these are your cards:

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10

and the card you chose from the deck is a 5. You put it in the five spot. Then if the card you switched it out with is another number card like a 7, you can switch it out with the card in the seven spot.

If you get a king or queen or a card that’s spot is already filled, you put it in the Garbage. Your opponent can either take that card from the Garbage or take another card from the deck.This will go on until all of your or your opponent’s spots are filled.

be moved to a different spot.

Image result for cards

BS

The objective of this game is to get rid of all your cards. This is a two to ten person game. Each person receives an equal amount of cards. The person who has the Ace of Spades puts it down face up, and the game continues clockwise.

Each person must put down the card that is after the card that the person before them put down.