Christmas Meals Around the World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas Meals Around the World

Simone Halpin, Journalist

Around the world each December, people celebrate Christmas, a jolly holliday that brings good spirits and gifts to many. 90% of Americans Celebrate Christmas, but only 55% celebrate it for religious purposes. It is a tradition to have a feast either on Christmas or Christmas eve. Even if you only celebrate Christmas just for the fun, you still have to eat, so what are people enjoying around the world for the holiday season? In this article, you can find out the traditional Christmas (or holiday season) meals around the globe.

U.S.A

We start off with U.S.A. Americans usually enjoy turkey (or a type of bird) stuffed with potatoes and vegetables, with a side of sweet potato and gravy. Don’t forget the cranberry sauce! We also gulp down the sparkling apple cider, if we have the chance. 

Japan

Now for Japan. It is their tradition to eat fast food during the holidays, but not just any type of fast food!  The Japanese usually dine at Kentucky Fried Chicken! In fact, so many people in Japan want to eat there, that sometimes reservations must be made months before.

Germany

Germany’s Christmas meal is based around their “Christmas Goose”, or the Weihnachtsgans. This tradition dates back to the Middle Ages, and the first recipe known comes from a cookbook published in 1350. The Germans stuff the spiced goose with apples, chestnuts, onions and prunes; then serve it alongside red cabbage, dumplings, gravy and sauerkraut. (recipe for Weihnachtsgans

Costa Rica

In Costa Rica, it is a tradition to eat tamales for the holidays. The basics of tamales, is corn dough stuffed with pork, chicken or beef, wrapped in corn husk and then steamed. Each person can then add on the sides of garlic onions or sour-cream. (recipe for tamales

Mexico

This Mexican meal served around the holidays is not very common in other parts of the world. Ever heard of Menudo? Menudo is a mexican stew made from Beef Tripe (otherwise known as Cow stomach). Some other important ingredients are broth, lime, onions, oregano, and cilantro. This soup came about when farmers in Mexico used spare cow stomach and liver to create a dish, and it will certainly fill you up! (recipe for Menudo)

Philippines

Pigs are known for producing bacon, but in the Philippines, the Christmas tradition is Pineapple Glazed Ham. This is known as Hamonado. This meal is pretty basic, as it is just an entire pineapple glazed pig. The celebrations that occur before the meal however, are much more extravagant. This meal is also served with a Filipino cheese bowl that you can eat or dip other food in. (recipe for Pineapple glazed ham)

Finland

On Christmas, Finland goes with more of a buffet style. The Finnish set out boards on the table with items such as fish, casseroles, mushroom salad, pickled herring, and Karelian Stew. For desert, they enjoy their serving of tarts, gingerbread, and rice pudding. 

Food is a necessity to living, so why not make it enjoyable? These are some of the delicious foods enjoyed around the world during the holidays. Be sure to try some of these out!