Mars 2020 Mission

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mars 2020 Mission

Behruz Azimov, Editor/Journalist

Because of population growth and environmental destruction on Earth, we can only call this planet home for so much longer.

The Mars 2020 Rover Mission is part of NASA’s Mars Exploration Program, an initiative that wants to explore the red planet. This mission will take place in July/August of 2020 and the mission will take about one Mars year o

r 687 Earth days.

This mission will help scientists research the red planet and solve many question about the planet. The mission also hopes to discover the conditions of Mars and its past. One major question is whether or not life is sustainable on the red planet. The Mars 2020 rover introduces a drill that collects samples of the rock and soil of the planet. This drill will help determine if the soil and rock on Mars is adaptable for agriculture. Scientists will gain important knowledge about the atmosphere in order to figure out  how we can provide oxygen to the atmosphere so life can be sustainable on the red planet. Additionally, the rover hopes to discover new resources and elements on the planet that might will help create more advanced technology, here on earth, and identify weather, dust, and other environmental conditions that are crucial to understanding if there is potential for life on Mars.

The year 2020 is an ideal time to undertake such a large task, because it will takes less power to travel to Mars in 2020, compared to other times, when Earth and Mars are in different positions in their orbits. To keep mission costs and risks as low as possible, the Mars 2020 design is based on NASA’s successful Mars Science Laboratory mission architecture, including its Curiosity rover.

The three main goals of the Mars 2020 Rover Mission is to characterize the climate and geology of Mars, prepare Mars for human exploration, and determine whether or not life will be possible on Mars.