New and Upcoming Movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

New and Upcoming Movies

Simone Halpin, Editor

Movies are a way to go on an adventure while sitting on your couch or in the theater. They can transport you to magical places, give you a good scare, or make you laugh so hard your whole body hurts. People love going to the movies, whether it’s to watch a new release, go on a date, spend time with family,  or the simple value of entertainment. Here are some of the new movies coming to theaters near you.

1. Instant Family

This family movie is a PG-13-rated comedy. It is about two parents, Pete and Ellie, (Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne), looking to adopt a foster child, but when they find out that the teenager they chose comes with two younger siblings, they are not sure how to react. Now they must face the dilemma of uniting the family. See this in your local theatres on November 16.

1.     Mary Poppins Returns

This musical fantasy is a great PG rated movie to watch with kids of all ages. In this sequel to the infamous Mary Poppins, Mary, (now played by Emily Blunt), visits the now older Jane and Michael Banks. What will happen on their new journey? Find out when it  comes out on December 19.

1.         Ralph Breaks the Internet

In the sequel to the popular kids movie, Wreck-It Ralph, Ralph and his new friend Vanellope, (Ralph voiced by John C. Reilly and Vanellope voiced by Sarah Silverman), journey to the internet with hopes to get Vanellope’s game re-plugged. See this family-friendly PG rated movie in theatres on November 21st.

1.  Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Most people have seen the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, released in 2016. Now, exactly two years later, the follow up movie, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, (starring Johnny Depp and Eddie Redmayne), will be released. While the main character, Newt, is trying to stop another antagonist, trouble is raging through the city once again. Discover this movie in theatres on November 16.

1.          The Grinch

In this animated replica of Dr. Seuss’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” The grinch, (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch), is once again bothered by the jolly townspeople and their Christmas spirit. What will he do about it? And how will Cindy Lou Who (voiced by Cameron Seely) plan to find him? Find out on November 9th on theatres near you.

1.    A Dog’s Way Home

A Dog’s Way Home is a touching movie about the journey of a dog (voiced by Bryce Dallas Howard) who is separated from her owner, an aspiring medical student. Watch this faithful canine  travel 400 miles to reunite with him. See this PG-rated kids’ movie in January 2019.

1.         Bohemian Rhapsody

Bohemian Rhapsody is a PG-13 – Rated movie, about the band Queen’s lead singer Freddie Mercury (played by Rami Malek). Freddie broke stereotypes, and with the help of his bandmates, became  one of the most infamous entertainers to ever walk the planet. But when he leaves his band to become a solo artist, things begin going wrong for him. He suffers without the support and friendship of his bandmates, and now he must try to make everything right again. This movie came out on November 2nd, and you can still see it in theatres.

These are only a few of the movies that are currently released. Make sure to check them out, at our local San Mateo or Redwood City theater or make a day of it at a San Francisco or Santa Clara theater. Now, go get  yourself some popcorn, turn off your cell phone, and enjoy the show.

Photo sources:

Instant Family:

Mary Poppins Returns:

Ralph Breaks the Internet:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald:

The Grinch:

A Dog’s Way Home:

Bohemian Rhapsody