Homework Yes or No

One of the most controversial topics today is whether or not students should get homework. The pros and cons have been debated for years. Some will say, “Getting sun and exercise is crucial for your health. If you’re cooped up in school during the day, then have to do your homework when you get home, you’ll develop poor health” . Students already have seven hours of school, they don’t need to go home and continue working.  As a child, getting outside is very important for developing your body. Having too much homework can actually harm your health. Also, the pressure of having to complete homework every night is quite overwhelming. Having loads of homework can lead to cheating, and not actually learning. Lastly, homework can prevent students from having time for a social life. 

However, some think that it is a beneficial to give students homework. It can improve students’ ability to work independently, outside of school. Kids need to prepare for the workload in high school and having to do work on their own. According to News Observer, “Beyond achievement, homework can also lead to the development of good study habits…also foster independent learning and responsible character traits – essential skills later in life when students change jobs or learn new skills for advancement at work” (newsobserver). Having homework can improve memory and improve test grades. Some kids actually prefer to do their work at home, in a much quieter environment. 

Despite most teachers and parents disbelief of giving homework, most schools still think it’s important.  Few countries are seriously limiting or banning homework. For example, Finland finds that having limited homework is beneficial to the learning of their students. Contrasting, countries like Singapore have an abundance of homework every night but they have one of the best academic score