How to Tell Fact from Fiction

Jamison Chow, Editor

Companies accused of having fake news on their sites.

There are many people accusing sites or people of faking news. Facebook was accused for being the platform that spreads fake news. And an example is when “Matt Gaetz (R., Fl.) questioned why a Facebook page called Milkshakes Against the Republican Party remained up for months despite multiple posts that called for violence against Republicans,” according to the Wall Street Journal. Fake news goes viral because people want evidence of their points, no matter how wrong they are, and most have eye popping headlines like “FAA Study Finds 64% Of Engine Failures Caused By Henchman Being Kicked Into Turbine” from The Onion, a news satire organization that publishes articles on international, national, and local news. Their tagline is “America’s finest news source”, a fake news site that claim to be true. Most fake news sites want to convince the reader to believe what they write so readers need to be careful.

Some companies like Facebook, Twitter, and Google are trying to fix this problem. Facebook has enlisted 3rd party checking for “14 countries, and now has plans to scale even further throughout 2018. The social network will also be expanding its program to fact-check not only text but photos and videos as well. “This includes those that are manipulated (e.g. a video that is edited to show something that did not really happen) or taken out of context (e.g. a photo from a previous tragedy associated with a different, present-day conflict),” Facebook noted in an announcement.” according to Digital Trends’ Lulu Chang and Eric Brackett. The site Infowars has been banned from many social media sites for spreading fake news.

Fake news sites are very often similar to credible sites and it is very hard to distinguish the difference between them. Here are some tips from Harvard University. First check the author’s credibility. Then the citations, anything could be made up. Then check the domain name, be careful site like The Onion are satirical and are not made for facts. You also have to read through the article for any bias. Bias opinions will probably be censored or edited to the wirters liking. Lastly check if the author has published anything else for experience. A lack of any other credible articles will most likely show that the author is faking news. Even with these tips, you may be confused. If you read or watch the news, always do your own fact checking before believing what they have to say.

Sources

https://www.summer.harvard.edu/inside-summer/4-tips-spotting-fake-news-story

https://www.theonion.com/