Anime Recommendations

Kanna Funabashi and Marie Ishida

Anime Recommendations

By Kanna Funabashi and Marie Ishida

Anime, or more specifically Japanese animation, is something that is becoming more and more popular worldwide. A few features of anime characters are; large eyes, unrealistic hair color, unique personalities, and exaggerated facial expressions. Here is a list of some new anime starting/airing this season as well as anime that have ended recently. Each is unique and has its own charm to it.

Cells at Work by David Production

Cells at Work is an anime about the cells inside your body, personified. The main character is a Red Blood Cell, an eccentric delivery worker, working hard to deliver Oxygen. White Blood Cell is the fighter of the human body, destroying bacteria and viruses. Each episode centers around a cell or invading bacteria. Cells at Work has been highly praised for it’s easy-to-understand explanations of cells, and its wit and humor. This anime is a very
entertaining watch, both educational and comedic.

Satsuriku no Tenshi (Angels of Death) by J.C.Staff

Satsuriku no Tenshi, or Angels of Death (in english) is an anime about Rachel “Ray” Gardner, a girl who witnesses a murder and goes to counseling – only to find herself in a mysterious underground hospital with amnesia. Each floor she goes up to has a killer waiting for her. The first person she meets is Isaac “Zack” Foster, a deranged serial killer who teams up with Rachel to get out of the strange hospital. Their team is a peculiar one, as Rachel – for some reason – believes she needs to be killed, and Zack promises to kill her once/if they can escape from the hospital. This anime is a very interesting horror adventure story, and it’s fascinating to see how it ends. Angels of Death is popular among those who enjoy mystery and horror, and it is worth watching just to see the odd dynamic between Zack and Ray.

Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) Season 3 by Bones (Studio)

Boku no Hero Academia, or My Hero Academia is an ongoing series about Izuku “Deku” Midoriya, who is aiming to be a hero in a world where 80% of the population has some sort of “quirk” or superpower. Deku begins quirkless, and is rejected by most of society as a failure. Then by pure coincidence, meets All Might, the greatest superhero in the world who believes Deku is worthy to inherit his own superpower to become the next greatest hero, and the Symbol of Peace. Season 3 is a continuation of the ongoing story of Deku. My Hero Academia has been highly praised as a “new and refreshing” hero story. It has won several awards, and it’s manga (the original comic the anime is based off of) has over 13 Million copies sold worldwide. The anime does it justice, and is a very entertaining and easy-to-get-into series.

Violet Evergarden by Kyoto Animation

Violet Evergarden is the anime adaptation of a popular light novel series written by Kana Akatsuki and illustrated by Akiko Takase. The first novel was published on December 25, 2015, and the 13-episode anime series was aired between January and April 2018. The story revolves around a girl named Violet Evergarden who was a soldier in the war since she was a child. When the war ends, she searches for her purpose to live after losing her arms position as a soldier, Violet then finds work as a Auto Memory Doll, writing letters for those who cannot write. Thinking back to the words Major Gilbert, her major, said to her, Violet embarks on a journey to find the meaning of “I love you”. This anime has a short story each episode, with Violet slowly growing up and maturing each episode.

Cells at Work Image Source

Angels of Death Image Source

My Hero Academia Image Source

Violet Evergarden Image Source