Why Don’t We: A Man Band

Sophie Bironas, Editor

Introduction:

On September 27th, 2016, five boys decided to go out to Los Angeles and create a band. It was called “Why Don’t We”. The band was created by Jonah Marais Roth Frantzich (he goes by Jonah Marais), Corbyn Besson, Jack Avery, Zach Herron and Daniel Seavey. As of now, they have gone on three sold out  tours in the U.S. and have just gotten back from their tours in Europe, Asia and Australia.

About The Band:

Jonah Marais Roth Frantzich was born on June 16th, 1998 in Stillwater, Minnesota. Jonah’s dad, Timothy is a musician and taught Jonah everything. Timothy taught him piano and guitar. This made Jonah realize his love of music.  He started using social media when he was about 16 and his online following grew. He started to go by Jonah Marais, since it had a better ring to it than Jonah Frantzich. Soon, he started to go on social media tours like Digitour, with other social media influencers. Jonah became a solo artist while on these tours and released songs like “War Paint”, “I Meant It” and “Next Ex Girlfriend”.   

Corbyn Besson was born on November 25th, 1998 in Texas but later moved to Virginia. He discovered his love of music at the age of 12 and has been playing since. From the ages of 15-16, Corbyn used the platform YouNow, which is a live streaming app and he started to gain followers. He along with many other social media stars (two of which are in the band, Zach Herron and Jack Avery) went on the Impact tour. In early 2016, Corbyn started dating YouTuber Christina Marie Harris (known as BeautyChickee) and they have been inseparable. He himself posted covers on YouTube, which jump started his music career.

Daniel Seavey was born on April 2nd, 1999 in Vancouver, Washington. Daniel loved music and at 15 he auditioned for American Idol season 14. He went on for most of the season, but was eliminated during the single-elimination round at ninth place. After American Idol, he started to become a solo artist and posted videos to youtube. Unlike the other members, Daniel did not go on social media tours. Daniel and Jack met at the  American Idol audition, but Jack was unable to make it into the competition.

Jack Avery was born on July 1st, 1999 in Burbank, California then moved to Susquehanna, Pennsylvania before turning 1 years old. Jack is the second oldest of his siblings. Sydnie Avery being his older sister and Ava and Isla Stanford being his younger sisters. Jack’s mom and dad got divorced and when she remarried, she had Ava and Isla. Jack’s dad has another daughter, however, her name is unknown. Jack rose to fame through social media. He went on the Impact tour. He created his own song “Liar” and posted covers onto YouTube.

Zach Herron was born on May 27th, 2001 in Dallas, Texas. He has been singing since he was little. Many videos have been released from fan accounts and on Zach’s personal Instagram him singing when he was younger. In 2015, a video of Zach singing the song “Stitches” by Shawn Mendes went viral because Zach’s voice was very similar to Shawn’s. In 2016, Zach released his own songs like “Time Lapse” and “Why”. He uploaded covers on YouTube since he was 14. His most viewed video was his “Stitches” cover with 2.8 million views.

This is only the beginning:

All the boys became close friends in late September and decided to go on a trip to Los Angeles. They really liked the way they sounded together and the idea of becoming a band was thrown around. They said, “Why don’t we make a band?” and that was the beginning of Why Don’t We. The name is an inside joke with all the boys and the fandom itself.

For about a year, they just kept releasing EP after EP. Their first EP was called “Only The Beginning” which was released on November 25th, 2016. The songs on the EP are called “Taking You”, “Nobody Gotta Know”, “Just To See You Smile”, “On My Way”, “Perfect”, and “Free”. “Nobody Gotta Know” gained a lot of popularity and attracted the interest of a famous YouTube star.

Their most popular EP, “Something Different”, was released on April 21st, 2017. This EP consisted of  “Something Different”, “Tell Me”, “Made For”, “Air Of The Night (Smooth Step)”, and “Never Know”. The music video for “Something Different” was directed by the YouTube Star that was previously mentioned. The summer of 2017, Why Don’t We toured around the U.S. traveling to small venues.

“Why Don’t We Just”, their third EP, was released on June 2nd, 2017. The songs released were, “Why Don’t We Just”, “All My Love”, “I Depend On You”, “Runner”, and “We The Party”.  This EP was not as popular as the first, however, this brought Why Don’t We more followers.
Later that year, “Invitation” was released on September 27, 2017 for their anniversary. This EP contained “Invitation”, “M.I.A.”, “Boomerang”, “Words I Didn’t Say”, “Turn It Off”. This sparked a new era for Why Don’t We. They went on tour in early 2018 and the show was more extravagant. They used more lights and theatrics to make the show more interactive, and gave out bracelets to the audience that lit up with the lights on stage.

They released a couple singles that were not on any EP. They released “These Girls” on August 29, 2017 and “Trust Fund Baby” on February 1, 2018.

8 Letters:

On August 31, 2018, Why Don’t We released their first album “8 Letters”. They released their title track, “Talk”, “Choose”, “In Too Deep”, “Friends”, “Hooked”, “Hard”, and “Falling”. A few weeks later, they announced U.S. tour dates. On September 8, the tickets went on sale, and sold out Radio City Music Hall in New York, in under two hours.

Limelights:

In the middle of 2017, us fans decided that we need a name for our fandom. We decided to call ourselves “Limelights” because of their famous lyric from “Taking You”, “I need you in my life like limelight”. The boys repeatedly say how much they love us and without us, they wouldn’t be where they are today. To Why Don’t We we are their limelight and they need us in their life.