Top 10 Rappers Of All Time

Behruz Azimov, Manu Cohen, Samuel Johnson, Journalists

1. LL COOL J

Hip-hop artist, author and actor LL Cool J was born on January 14, 1968, in Bay Shore, Long Island, New York. Growing up in New York City, Smith adopted the stage name LL Cool J, which stands for “Ladies Love Cool James. LL Cool J signed to fledgling hip-hop label Def Jam Records in 1984. After a string of hits—included on albums like Bigger and Deffer, Walking with a Panther, Mama Said Knock You Out, 14 Shots to the Dome and Mr. Smith.

9. Dr. Dre-

Dr. Dre (Andre Romelle Young) is a godfather of the American hip-hop industry. He is an American rap legend and music producer. Dr. Dre started his career as a member of the group World Class Wreckin Cru. Later in his career, he joined N.W.A., an important gangsta rap group, and there he made his mark in the music industry which gave him his first major success. Dr. Dre’s natural musical talent helped him become a well known figure in the rap world, his two solo albums, The Chronic and 2001 became extremely successful. Dr. Dre has also been the driving force of

1. Jay Z-

Shawn Corey Carter was born in Brooklyn, New York, December 4, 1969. Jay Z’s dad left the family when he was only 11 years old, he is the youngest of 4 siblings. Jay Z has 4 No.1 hits and 21 Top 10 hits. His rap music focuses on a lot of lyrical meanings which is why his songs are really deep. Jay Z has 13 platinum solo albums. That is a lot considering he has 13 studio albums, 4 collaborative albums, 5 compilation albums, and 1 soundtrack album.

1. Ice Cube-

O’Shea Jackson Sr. also known as Ice Cube, can be considered as the founder of the genre ‘gangsta rap’. He is one of the best hip-hop artists in the music industry. He is a well known figure of rap in the 21st century. Some of his hit albums include ‘AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted’, ‘Kill at Will’, ‘Death Certificate’, ‘War And Peace Vol. 1’, ‘War And Peace Volume 2’, ‘Lethal Injection’, and ‘I Am the West’. Ice Cube began to get into rap when he was in high school and that is when he started writing rap songs. In the beginning of his career, he was an upcoming solo artist and then he transitioned into a best selling rap artist and became a well known figure of the rap world.

1. Snoop Dogg-

Snoop Dogg (Calvin Broadus) is a west coast rap legend who became one of the best known figures of rap during the 1990s. His debut album, Doggystyle, was released and it introduced him to the world of rap. With hit singles such as What’s My Name? and Gin and Juice, he became famous for his rapping style and his name became popular within the rap world. Later in his career, his success continued with numerous hit albums such as The Doggyfather, No Limit Top Dogg, Rhythm and Gangsta: The Masterpiece, and Doggumentary. He is an amazing rapper and a influential figure of the rap world.

1. Nas- 

Nas is an influential rap artist whose 1994 debut album, Illmatic, is frequently ranked as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. MTV listed him as the fifth Greatest MC of all time. Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones started rapping as a teen under the stage name Kid Wave. While he was growing up in the projects of New York, Nas would make poems about what he saw around him. Nas rapped with an East coast style. Nas is a great rapper because of the way he played with his words in his songs and what he sang about.

1. Eminem-

Eminem is an American rapper and is known as one of the greatest rappers of all time and is one of the best selling artists of the early 21st century. One of his first hit albums was the Slim Shady album and it was released in the year of 1999. It earned Eminem 2 Grammy Awards and 4 MTV Video Music Award. In the year 2000, he released The Marshall Mathers LP and it was called the fastest selling album in rap history. In 2010, Eminem released his Grammy winning album called Recovery. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 was released in the year of 2013 and it earned Eminem numerous awards. Later on, Eminem released 2 hit albums, Revival which was released in 2017 and Kamikaze which was released in 2018.

1.  Lauryn Hill- 

Lauryn Noelle Hill was born on may 26th, 1975. She grew up in New Jersey with a middle class family. Hill was extremely talented as a child so she sang on local wedding and local bars. She also got pretty popular around the area because of her singing talent. She graduated Columbia High School where she played the violin. Hill’s album, “The miseducation of Lauryn Hill” is one of the most successful albums she’s ever had. She got, “Album Of The Year”, “Best New Artist”, and 5 Grammy awards from it. She has also been in movies like King Of The Hill and Sister act 2: Back In The Habit.   

1. Notorious B.I.G.-    

Christopher Wallace, aka Biggie Smalls and the Notorious B.I.G. lived a short life. He was 24 years old when he was gunned down in 1997 in Los Angeles, a murder that has never been solved. Smalls was from New York and had almost single-handedly reinvented East Coast hip hop, overtaken in the early 1990s by the West Coast sound of Dr. Dre and Death Row Records. With his clear, powerful, deep, and effortless flow on the mic and willingness to address others vulnerability, as well as the harshness and the hustler lifestyle. He styled himself as a gangster and although he was no angel, in reality he was more of a performer than a hardened criminal. In this regard, he was similar to Tupac Shakur, his one time friend turned rival. But the reason why Biggie Smalls is on this list is because the lyrics in his music are lyrics people could relate to. Although Christopher came of as a big scary dude, once you know about him, you will realize that he was a pretty cool guy.

1. Tupac- 

Tupac Shakur was born on June 16, 1971 and died young at the age of 21 due to a shooting on September 13, 1996. As a young boy Tupac always looked up to the civil rights activist like his mother and rappers like N.W.A. He didn’t see his music as just rap, he saw it as poetry and being a voice for his people, not just for African Americans but for all the people that are being mistreated. He was the first rapper to put West coast rap on the map. Although Tupac had some songs that were provocative, he meant well and died young. Despite his youth, he changed the rap world forever.

What Teachers Think

For this article, we wanted to know who our  teachers thought were the best rappers of all time, so we asked them. Many teachers said famous rappers like Tupac, Biggie Smalls, and Eminem. But others talked about rappers like G-Eazy, Common, and Childish Gambino (aka, Donald Glover). Some mentioned young rappers like 6ix9ine and Kodak Black. Still others went old school eighties honoring Run-DMC, Slick Rick, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, and The Beastie Boys.