Corporate Collaboration with Schools

Jeremy Yang, Writer/Editor

Many schools have had a history of low’s, not being able to fund for many things like schools sports and art programs. Working with sponsorships helps relieve stress from the raised taxes and popular vote. If you work with a large corporation with a big name, your school’s name will get out there with a good image.  Collaboration with large corporations would eventually come to an end, eventually there will be very few businesses that are willing to give you “something for nothing.” With that, there will be less program cuts and help maintain the classroom, with extra money possibly adding new lessons to curriculum. Schools can also provide updated technology to replace older, slower computers. Also replacing outdated textbooks, administration can also choose to purchase new and critical educational materials such as science lab equipment. Additionally, it is in the students’ best interest in many cases, as educational benefits often outweigh the harm from the advertisement itself.

Advertisements are often offered through vending machines and fast food contracts which allows students access to poor nutrition choices. Students in our generation usually have a large amount of spendable income available; by forcing kids to go to advertisement filled schools, they are exposed to these almost everyday for 6-8 hours a day. Many educational materials are expensive, and when corporations offer to advertise in exchange for free materials, the company can control a bit of the curriculum and what is taught. Many corporations that exist in our society may have bad reputations, therefore placing a bad image on that school or administration. Because of this, companies can take advantage of this power to nudge concealed agendas to students. For example, and oil company discussing clean-up efforts. Sometimes, companies would have different obligations and would want something in return to sponsoring the school, and that might be too much for the school to afford.

It is up to the school/administration to decide the best way to receive funding for keeping school programs alive. Whether it is from community fundraisers or private corporations. The best way to secure a long term relationship with businesses and have quick reliable source of funding is to collaborate with a corporate administration. Though some schools boards are more reluctant to produce funding on their funding independently. Either side of the arguments has reasons to believe that advertisements and collaboration is and/or is not correct.