San Francisco Giants

Matthew Rich, Author

This year has revealed many changes to the Giant’s lineup. Fans are still trying to figure out who is on the field or up to bat. With this new lineup, they have been winning about every other game, much better than their 2017, 64-98 record. This new lineup, and the acquisition of Andrew McCutchen, an amazing outfielder and hitter with multiple walk-offs this season, has helped them greatly in their success.

Their lineup this year, by position, is as follows:

• Gregor Blanco, OF
  • Andrew McCutchen, RF
  • Buster Posey / Nick Hundley, C
  • Brandon Belt / Pablo Sandoval, 1B
  • Evan Longoria / Pablo Sandoval, 3B
  • Alen Hanson / Kelby Tomlinson, 2B
  • Austin Jackson / Gorkys Hernandez, OF
  • Madison Bumgarner, Derek Holland, Jeff Samardzija, Andrew Suarez, Ty Blach, Chris Stratton, Johnny Cueto, SP

One reason the Giants might be failing to top the NL West Leaderboard is the number of key players’ injuries. While Giants ace pitcher Madison Bumgarner is just off the DL, Johnny Cueto took his place on the list and is expected to be on the DL for six to eight weeks for an injury in his right elbow. This is unfortunate as he is an amazing starting pitcher, with an ERA of .84 and 0 losses during the 2018 season. Another star player, 2B Joe Panik, will also be out for six to eight weeks for an injury to his left-thumb.

When these two key players are off the DL and back on the field, the Giants are expected to improve their current performance on the field, and possibly make it to the postseason.

However, even with all of these unfortunate injuries, Brandon Belt was named the NL Player of the Week of 5/20. He was awarded this honor because of his many home runs and impressive plays on both offense and defense. He led the Giants to a week of a 4-3 record, and while doing this hit five home runs. Other than his home runs, Belt hit .444 with 12 hits, eight runs, and 11 RBI’s. At the time of this article, Belt is tied for fifth in total home runs with 11, only seven behind his career record of 18, and is first in NL OPS (On-base plus slugging) with a 1.01. Also, Belt leads the Giants in home runs, hits, extra base hits, runs scored and RBIs. If Brandon Belt continues on with his performance throughout the season, the Giants may do very well in the postseason. The other Brandon, Brandon Crawford, is also performing well this season. So far he has five home runs, 51 hits, 21 RBIs, and a .815 OPS. Hopefully, the Giants will be able to pull through these injuries and work themselves up to playoff contenders.