Bowditch Spring Sports

Ananya Pant and Fiona Lee

Boys Volleyball has a junior varsity (JV) and a varsity team. Last year, the 2016-2017 school year, was the first year Bowditch had a boys volleyball team. The junior varsity team even made it to the championships. Mr. Mooney coaches both the JV and varsity teams. The varsity practices and games against other middle schools are on random days (whenever Mr. Mooney can get the gym). When they do get the gym, varsity practices from 3:15 to 4:30 and JV from 4:30 to 5:45. Terman Middle School and Harker Middle School are the biggest rivals of Boys Volleyball. Andre Wang, is a seventh grader on the varsity team. “The most fun part about this sport is that you get to play with your friends and make new ones… teamwork,” he says. “I really like how I get to do something fun with my friends,” Gio Choy, a sixth grader on the junior varsity team, says.

The Girls Soccer team is known as a winning team, as over the years, they have earned multiple Championship titles. Their practices are Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00-5:30. Their games against other schools are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Girls Soccer team’s biggest rival is Tierra Linda Middle School. Coach Henry and Coach Daren challenge the girls to work hard. Sixth grader Ren De Los Reyes says, “All my teammates are very supportive and we make a lot memories.”

The Boys Soccer Team has 16 students on the roster. Practices are on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4:00-5:30. Games are randomly placed on Mondays through Thursdays. The Boys Soccer team’s biggest rival is Cunha Middle School. The coaches are Coach Graeme, Coach Joshua, and Coach Sahil. Taj Gadiraju, an 8th grader on the team, says, “It’s just fun. I get to play against my friends from other schools. Its competitive.” Shuna Sarazawa is the only sixth grader on the boys soccer team, and when asked why he joined the team, he said, “I like soccer and I want to practice a lot more.” Mayank Patil, another 8th grader, says, “It is a completely different experience than club soccer, because you are representing your school, which gives you a certain sense of school pride.”

Tennis is divided into two teams, the Blue Team and the Gold Team. The Gold Team is considered the advanced team. Coach Jeff is the coach for the Gold Team and Coach Aldapa (Ms. Aldapa) is the Blue Team coach. The Gold Team practices on Mondays from 3:15 to 5:00, while the Blue Team practices on Wednesdays from 1:50 to 3:00. Matches for both teams are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Ralston is the Tennis’ biggest rival. Ananya Pant is one of the 8th graders on the Gold team. When asked what she likes about playing her sport, Ananya says, “I like playing matches against other teams from other schools.” Niru Thirunarayanan, a seventh grader on the Blue Team says, “My favorite part about tennis is that all your friends are there and you can make new ones too! You also get second chances.”

Track and Field is divided into many events. Track events consists of sprints, long distance running, and relays. The sprint events include the 50, 75, 100, 200, and 400-meter dash. The long distance events include the 800 and 1600 meter run. Relay events include 4×100 meters, 4×200 and 4×400 meters. The field events are made up of long jump, high jump, discus, and shot put. Coach Paul, Coach Ian, and Mr. Cavasas are the coaches for Track and Field. Track and Field practices are every Monday and Thursdays. The next meet is May 22. Sectionals are on Monday, May 14 and Thursday, May 17. Finals are on Tuesday, May 22 and Thursday, May 24. Anyone can join Track and Field at anytime. If your friends in Track and Field are having a lot of fun and you want to join in on the fun, you can sign up. Kylee Kim, an eighth grader who participates in all the sprint events, the 4×100 meter relay, shot put, and sometimes high jump, said, “Track is a very chill sport. You have a lot of time to spend time with your friends and you also get to participate in the sport.” Mayank says, “Track is a very inclusive sport, unlike others, no one gets cut from the team, which allows everyone a chance to experience their inner athlete.”