2018 NFL Draft

Matthew Rich

20 years ago, Colorado Sports Hall of Fame Quarterback, Peyton Manning, was the first pick of the 1998 NFL Draft. During the draft, rookies get the push they need to start their professional sports career. This year’s draft took place from Thursday, April 26 to Saturday, April 28. It consist of seven rounds with 32 picks each round, along with extra compensatory picks every round, resulting in 256 picks.

Sports network CBS created a mock draft to predict which teams would choose which players. They predicted the Cleveland Browns, with the first pick of the draft, would choose University of Wyoming QB Josh Allen. Following that, another QB, USC’s Sam Darnold, would be drafted to the New York Giants as the successor of Eli Manning. They predicted another QB, this time from Oklahoma, Baker Mayfield, would be picked by the New York Jets. After that, CBS said the Buffalo Bills would chose Josh Rosen, yet again another QB, this time from UCLA. With the fifth pick, CBS said the Denver Broncos would break the streak of QB’s and pick NC State DE Bradley Chubb. They said that with the ninth pick of the draft, our local San Francisco 49er’s would choose LB Tremaine Edmunds to cover up for the Reuben Foster situation.

While CBS may have been confident with their mock of the first round of the draft, their guesses were inaccurate, only correctly predicting one of the picks stated above, with the New York Giants choosing DE Bradley Chubb.

What happened during the actual NFL Draft was wild and unpredictable. With the first pick, the Cleveland Browns chose QB Baker Mayfield over QB Josh Allen, who was not chosen until the 7th pick by the Buffalo Bills, as racist tweets, from his high school years, surfaced. The New York Giants, with the number two pick, drafted a new running back instead of the highly expected QB. Next was QB Sam Darnold, one pick earlier than suspected, going to the New York Jets. Next, the Browns traded to get the fourth pick, and with it drafted CB Denzel Ward. Then, as suspected, the Denver Broncos picked DE Bradley Chubb. With the ninth pick, our San Francisco 49ers chose Mike McGlinchey, a 6’8” 291lb OT. The Arizona Cardinals tenth pick went to suspected 4th pick Josh Rosen, who was angered by his pick number, stating “there were nine mistakes ahead of me.”

While many 49ers fans may be questioning the 49ers’ choice of an OT instead of an LB, the clearing of the Foster situation lead them to choose an OT and give their new QB, Jimmy Garoppolo, time to throw the ball, setting him up for success along with his $137.5 million 5-year contract.

This year’s NFL Draft stacked not only the Browns with plenty of new amazing talent to rebound from their 0-16 2017 season, but many other teams rebuilding or enhancing their lineup.

With the 2018 NFL Draft’s conclusion and just a few months until football preseason begins, it is time to start thinking about the football season again.