Worst Movies of 2017

Worst Movies of 2017

This is a list of the 10 worst movies of 2017 (in no specific order). The movies are chosen based on the their box office, critic, and audience reviews. If any of theses movies are one of your favorites, go ahead and voice your opinions below!

Pixar’s The Emoji Movie has been named “The Worst Movie of 2017.” It has been frowned upon in Hollywood, making it the the first animated film in 38 years to earn the highest dishonor. It was nominated for 4 Razzies (the Oscar’s of poorly made movies): worst screenplay, worst director, and worst screen combo for two obnoxious emoji characters. The movie features an emoji called Gene, who is ashamed that he has multiple face expressions while the other emojis only have one. He goes out on a quest to find a hacker who can reprogram him to be like everyone else, but things take an unexpected turn. Critics at Rotten Tomatoes have graded the movie at a 9%, saying it has “.. a weak script, with poor, ugly animations…”. Critics say it has a “meh” plotline and flat humor. This movie was a definite flop for Pixar Studios.

Suburbicon, by Paramount Pictures, directed by George Clooney, worked from an original script by the Coen brothers, but turned out to be an utter disappointment.  With Clooney’s ability and the talent of Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, and Oscar Isaac, the movie instantly drew in an audience which had the right to expect more than a “well-intentioned lampoon of whites-only 1950’s suburbia.” The disappointment grows when Cloony adds a serious subplot about an African American family which “intrudes”  on the “Caucasian American Dream.” The movie was rated 29% Rotten Tomatoes and only brought in a disappointing amount of $5.8 million, while Jigsaw and Thor 3 brought in a total of almost $1 billion that same weekend.

Another movie rated an extremely low 13% by Rotten Tomatoes is Geostorm. This end of the world movie was known for its unimpressive visuals and the lack of a well written script. Instead of being a disaster movie, it was a disaster of a movie. The movie is centered on a satellite designer who is racing to save the world when the planet’s climate control satellites malfunction resulting in hundreds of tornadoes spawning in India, a gigantic tsunami in Dubai, volcanoes in China, and extreme heat in Moscow. Critics say, “The script, every scene of which you’ve seen 100 times already, ends with a sermon urging us to unite and salvage the future, though this rings hollow coming at the end of a $120 million exercise in sci-fi denial.” Overall, viewers say it’s a boring, repetitive, and silly movie that is just “downright ridiculous.”

The Snowman, directed by Thomas Alfredson, was a good idea, but poor execution on the final product left the audience confused. The hastily drawn image of a snowman with a big belly adorns The Snowman’s much-mocked poster, turned out to be the perfect metaphor for a serial-killer thriller. The movie was set around detective Harry Hole. The movie is a flashback of him attempting to find the Snowman killer. Unfortunately, Alfredson was unable to record 15% of the script due to a tight schedule, which left gaps and unresolved subplots, with a “stunning lack of attention to detail.” The movie pulled in $6,700,000 domestic, and it doesn’t help that it has an 8% rotten tomatoes and a 19% audience score. “ … the movie itself is an inept misfire – the kind of entrancing train wreck that makes you long for a behind-the-scene tell-all to explain what, exactly, went so wrong,.” says Alison Willmore from Buzzfeed News. It’s a boring and generic movie that people can’t believe it was based off of the revolutionary Scandinavian noir novel.

One of the movies that lost a large amount of money in 2017 was Monster Trucks. Monster Trucks features a high school senior, Tripp, who builds a monster truck out of scrap yard pieces. He befriends a creature that feeds on oil and lives in his truck. The movie lost a whopping $115,000,000 with many bad reviews on the movie’s plot and effects. Critics say, “Monster Trucks is a wreck, fueled by the crazy belief that noise and repetition can disguise the lack of credible writing, directing, acting and FX.” This movie was a big flop for movie producer Viacom.

Yet again, a terrible movie based off a  great prequel. Flatliners was a remake of a mostly forgotten movie that didn’t need to be brought back. Directed by Girl with Dragon Tattoo’s, Niel Arden Oplev, substituting the original A-plus list of Kiefer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, and Kevin Bacon with the less known Ellen Page, Diego Luna, and Nina Dobrev. Though Sutherland did appear briefly in the film, it wasn’t enough to save the movie from dragging itself down. “Flatliners 2017 is the same dumb movie as Flatliners 1990, minus most of the surface charisma.” —Mike D’Angelo, A.V.Club.  Flatliners pulled in a depressing $16.8 million and was easily beaten by the exciting action packed American Made starring, Tom Cruise which made $51 million in total domestic.