Black Panther : More Than A Superhero

With the biggest and highest grossing box office weekend opening, comes Marvel’s greatest and richest superhero Black Panther, released on the 16th of February. After seeking revenge for the death of his dad, the king of Wakanda, Black Panther, a.k.a. T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman), returns to his kingdom to gain his rightful place as the king. However, when a powerful enemy, nicknamed Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan), arises, T’Challa is tested and forced into a conflict. Killmonger attempts to take over Wakanda to distribute vibranium weapons to all of the black people in the world, and then lead them into an uprising. With the help of his sister Shuri (Letitia Wright) and ex-girlfriend Okoye (Daniel Gurira), T’Challa must to stop the rebellion.

Containing an amazing cast of Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, and Letitia Wright, Black Panther is an entertainer throughout the film, with amazing graphics and background sets. Moreover, it shines a light on an interesting ethical dilemma: If a population has the power to help their cultural relatives out of a bad situation, do they have a responsibility to do so? At essence, does Wakanda have an inherent responsibility to help other African countries develop? Interestingly, our current political situation is ridden with debates similar to those in Black Panther. That ‘isolationism’ issue that is central to the main storyline? It is quite similar to the debates about Afghanistan and Iran circulating throughout the U.S. recently.

Actors prepared for their stunning fight scenes by learning silat, among other martial arts. Silat is native to Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei. The director and his team did extensive research into martial arts from different continents and found silat reflected the movement of tigers and involved a lot of leaping and kicking. The production team put a lot of effort into the choreography, which incorporated capoeira from Brazil, Dambe boxing (Nigeria), Senegalese wrestling, Zulu stick-fighting and Southeast Asian martial arts muay thai and silat, to create Wakanda’s rich cultural heritage.

After earning $404 million around the world, Black Panther breaks records of the highest weekend grossing film in February, on the President’s Day weekend. With no other action packed movie coming out this month, predictions say that this film should last another 2-3 weekends being highest grossing movie in the box office.

This film has been given 97% Rotten Tomatoes and 7.8/10 on IMDb, showing the excellence of the movie as a whole.

Black Panther is currently the #1 movie at the box office, and has broken many records, including biggest non-sequel opening weekend, biggest solo superhero launch of all time, biggest opening weekend ever for any movie directed by a black man, and the biggest-grossing movie (in North America) directed by a black filmmaker.

This superhero movie premiered in the middle of Black History Month, has a black director (Ryan Coogler), and an almost entirely black cast.

Black Panther is more than just a superhero, it is one of the greatest sensations in the history of Marvel. Richer, both literally and culturally, than the Iron Man and Batman. The tale of Black Panther has been morphed into an excellent film, compels  you to purchase tickets and watch it on the big screen. Take this opportunity to enrich yourself, along with family and friends, and go see Black Panther now.