Magic: The Gathering

Magic: the Gathering, is the card game that has grabbed the attention of teenagers and adults alike. However, students that aren’t already in on it are asking: What is Magic?  Magic is a collectible card game made up of over 19,000 cards. It was started in 1993 by Richard Garfield an American mathematician, inventor, and game designer. It is often compared to common games like Yugioh and Pokemon but is older and more complicated than both of these trading card games.

Richard was born in Philadelphia but traveled often due to his father’s job. At the age of 12, Richard’s family finally settled in Oregon after years of traveling the country. In 1985, he received his bachelor degree in computer mathematics. He joined Bell Laboratories, a company specializing in rodent control, but left to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Pennsylvania. He earned his Ph.D in combinatorial mathematics. While looking for a publisher for his board game, Robo Rally, (designed in 1985), he began communicating with Wizards of the Coast publishers. Robo Rally seemed too expensive a game to produce for a new company. Wizards of the Coast asked Richard to begin work on a cheaper and more portable game, something that could be casually brought to a friends house or to a convention. During the next week, Richard designed his game Magic: The Gathering, though at the time he called it Manaclash. Richard was a graduate student while he worked at designing his game, so other Penn students would playtest the game, helping tweak the design. Magic: The Gathering launched in 1993, and the playtesters began independently making expansion packs for the game. Richard managed the hit game wisely, introducing new mechanics that matched players’ skill levels. Today Magic has a just under 20,000 cards and over 20 Million players.

In fact, Bowditch has a large Magic community itself. Every Wednesday, a large group of Magic players stuff into Room 12, Mr. Shrewsbury’s room, to enjoy this storied game. Especially in the ranks of 8th grade, Magic has spread like wildfire.

Interesting Fact: Richard is the great-grandson of U.S president James A. Garfield.

1 Comment

One Response to “Magic: The Gathering”

1. Reyhan Sabasen on February 23rd, 2018 9:53 am

This is the most amazing article i have ever read on the entire planet!!! Fantastic job, you should get a million dollars.

[Reply]

• Magic: The Gathering

Who Invented Donut

• Announcements

Spring Break Options

• Magic: The Gathering

Saying Hello Around the World

• Magic: The Gathering

The Homeless Cat Network:

• Magic: The Gathering

Elon Musk

• Announcements

The Afterlife of 5 Olympic Stadiums

• Announcements

Video Game Related Death

• Magic: The Gathering

Black Panther : More Than A Superhero

• Announcements

Jelly Beans Take Over The World

• Announcements

Riddle

Magic: The Gathering