How The Cinema Affects Teens:

Arpit Chopra, Journalist/Author

Everyone loves a good movie…or do they?

Cinema is the production of movies as an art. This art form has been around since the mid-19th century, with the monochrome colors of black and white. As time went on, movies were recorded and enjoyed as similarly as today. However, originally, not many cinema theatres were available, like today. The cinematic industry has made tremendous advancements, such as the computer generated industry (CGI), and the most beautiful sets and backgrounds. Cinema is a favorite past time around the world.

Movies impact our lives greatly in the 21st century, especially now that we can watch them, not only in the theater, but on our T.V.’s, computers, phones, and tablets, any time, anywhere.

Like most teens, I too love movies; however just like a coin, there are two sides – advantages and disadvantages. The cinema impacts people differently. Horror movies may give children a fright, but may be enjoyable to adults. Many movies are motivational and virtuous, like 3-idiots, From Homeless to Harvard, Life of Pi, Cast Away and Slumdog Millionaire  which leave the viewer inspired. They teach people to be themselves and not give up, no matter the situation present.

The cinema has also been known to boost an individual’s imagination. Movies with science-fiction, animation, or drama, have deep storylines can inspire people to make movies that are even better, create animations, paint or sketch images inspired by the films or just write an inspiring story inspired by the cinema.

On the other hand, movies also have a negative side. According to research at the University of Utah, 52% of teens that watch movies that involve the use of tobacco, drugs or alcohol consumption tend to start consuming these products. This makes the cinema one of the major reasons teens experiment. Movies with guns and violence have the same effect on teens and adults.

Teens can become addicted to movies, losing interest in studies and  extracurricular activities.  Teens might also watch inappropriate movies that cause them mature quicker, losing their childlike innocence. Prolonged exposure to movies adversely affect one’s vision, which may result in blindness or the diagnoses of spectacles.

When considering watching a movie, take the opportunity to spend time with the ones you love, and enjoy them with your family and friends.