Women’s Marches: Is This Movement Effective?

Recent women's rights marches have swept through the country. Are these protests effective?

Aditya Kishore, Author/Editor

The recent women’s rights marches have dominated the news, with over one million women participating throughout America. Something similar occured last year, working to empower as many people as possible around the country. However, this year the march comes at an extremely politically intense time period. The recent #MeToo movement has spread rapidly through Hollywood, inspiring many female celebrities to speak out about abusive men, and encouraging women across the country to speak out, culminating in the recent indictment and sentencing of Larry Nassar. Furthermore, President Trump’s comments on feminism and his admitting to abusing women have enraged women during his run-up to the election and presidency. Therefore, this year’s march had more meaning, more participants, and more media coverage than last year. As a byproduct, it sparked an interesting debate: Can this women’s rights movement successfully ignite a dramatic shift in the way we think and live?

There are clear reasons for the marches: women’s rights as humans are constantly being infringed upon, and the furor over this is peaking. And the question previously stated is not to defend and give solace to the actions of the Bill Cosby’s and Larry Nassar’s of the world: they fully deserve prison for life. However, the Women’s Marches may be doing much more harm than good. Blocking the streets in major cities, such as Los Angeles and New York, is not an effective method of dispelling notions that women are entitled and undeserving of respect. If anything, it simply reinforces the uninformed opinions of those who share these sentiments, and annoys neighboring residents in said cities who may not share said opinions. Even though they are clearly in the wrong, they unfortunately hold the power, so appealing to that (predominantly male) population is crucial.  So what will work? There doesn’t seem to be any decent alternatives, and working hard but silently has never resulted in a change of rights. This trend will continue to take effect for this movement, so a new approach will be needed going forward.

This is the tough question, and most likely the one that spurred women to take part in the marches at all. But, on the other hand, marches like these occured 100 years ago as well, and here we are, debating the same issues without getting anything done. Without another choice, marching is probably the best idea, large groups of people expressing similar opinions. However, the location of said marches are still in question. Marching in cities such as Los Angeles and New York is useless, as California and New York are progressive states, and are already aware of this movement, and changing because of it. However, a city like Chicago will just bring hate to the idea of the marches, as eighty-six percent of people are inclined to vote conservatively in Chicago, as per Chicago Tribune. So what would the most effective move now be for the rapidly growing Women’s Movement? The answer seems simple – an all-out march on the White House.

When considering human rights movements, we can turn to the once similar civil rights movement. Martin Luther King Jr.’s march on the White House is famed for a reason – its success (and King’s genius as a statesman). Marches on the White House have happened in the two years past, but an increased population, elongated time, and defined leader to be the face of this issue would give the women’s movement what it has been lacking. A crowd on the steps of the famed building would make sure that their message is heard throughout the country, and by the government. It would give something of lore, for young women to look up to, and to inspire suppressed women everywhere. Leaving a lasting legacy is something every fledgling movement needs, and women’s rights so far lacks this important piece of a movement. Without something sturdy to hold on to and look up to, this incredible movement will be lost in the sandstorm that is history. Indeed, one can surmise that the women’s rights movement is in a rather precarious position, on the precipice of sociocultural revolution, but needing a true legacy to push it over the top. All it needs to achieve that? One more march.