Bowditch presents, The Little Mermaid!

Kylee Kim, Author

Ms. Smith, our Drama teacher and director, here at Bowditch, has been working hard to bring you this year’s performance. Bowditch Middle School presents, The Little Mermaid!

The Little Mermaid is about a mermaid who dreams of being a human, and discovers who she wants to be. She disobeys her father and goes to the surface and ends up falling in love with a human prince, Prince Eric. She makes a deal with the evil Ursula, who agrees to give her three days on land to make the prince fall in love with her, so she can be with him on land forever, but she must do so without her voice. The play this year is very similar to the movie, but Ms. Smith says there are some differences in the play that you don’t want to miss.

Ariel, The Little Mermaid, is played by Katie Maupin. Over winter break, Katie starred as Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden, with a professional theater group. Nicolette Aarons, an eighth grader, is playing Ursula, the sea witch. She played as a silly girl in last year’s play, Beauty and the Beast.  In addition, Becky Alex, who played the main role of Belle in last year’s play, is now the secondary antagonist, Flotsam, one of Ursula’s evil eels. There are sixty-five Bowditch students, ranging from sixth to eighth grade in this year’s play. Make sure to go watch to make their practice worthwhile.

The play would not go on without the crew. There are sixth, seventh, and eighth graders the make up the forty students that work the show. There are many parts of the crew, ranging from stage crew, who help move the set around, to ushers, who help the audience get comfortable before the show starts. With the help of lots of parents, the crew is able to make all of the sets, props, and costumes that make the show exciting.

What would a show be without music? There are twenty five musicians in the pit under the stage with our own Mr. Mac directing the entertaining music for the audience to enjoy. There are student alumni and current students who play the beautiful music for all the shows. Without them, we wouldn’t make musicals!

Do you want to see the play? Tickets go on sale on January 22nd, through Brown Paper tickets; there will be a link below or on the Bowditch website under the drama department. We are expecting all three shows, especially the evening shows, to sell out quickly, so make sure to get your tickets, right away! Shows start in February, one show the evening of the 232rd, and two afternoon shows and one evening, on the 24th. All shows will take place at the Bayside Performing Arts Center. We hope to see you there!!!

https://bmstlm.brownpapertickets.com/