Adrenaline Junkies

Gino Gianoli, Author

Base Jumping: Base jumping, is parachuting or wingsuit flying from a fixed structure. B.A.S.E stands for the four categories of fixed objects from which one can jump: building, antenna, span, and Earth (cliff). Due to the lower altitudes of the jumps, base jumping is significantly more dangerous than skydiving from a plane. In the US, base jumping is thought of as an extreme sport or stunt. In many locations, base jumping is illegal, such as El Capitan, in Yosemite Valley, and Perrine Bridge, in Twin Falls, Idaho, and that is the part of the adrenaline rush.

BASE jumping became known to the wider public through a number of action movies and is the subject of the 2014 documentary, Sunshine Superman, featuring Carl Boenish.

Zip Lining: Zip lines were originally designed to assist biologists in exploring the Rainforest, in Costa Rica. However, Adrenaline Junkies soon figured out how to use Zip Lining as entertainment. The Zip Liners slide from the top to the bottom of the cable or rope by holding on to, or attaching to, the freely moving pulley. Zip-lines come in many forms and are currently most often used as entertainment. When they are short and low, they are intended for children and found on some playgrounds. Longer and higher Zip Lines are often used in remote areas, such as a rainforest canopy. Zip line tours are becoming popular vacation activities, found in outdoor adventure camps or upscale hotels. The jungles of Costa Rica, Florida, Puerto Vallarta, and Nicaragua are popular destinations for zip line enthusiasts.

Tight Roping: Tightrope walking involves a tightly stretched rope or a wire, on which acrobats perform high above the ground. Tight roping is also called funambulism. It has a long tradition in various countries and is commonly associated with the circus. Other skills similar to tightrope walking include slack rope walking and slacklining. Tight ropers use many objects to help them balance,  most often a long pole. The highest tightrope walk was completed by Freddy Nock. He started at Biancograt at 3.532 meters above sea level, reaching Piz Previlus, the highest mountain in the Eastern Alps, setting the new world record. Another world record for tight roping is the highest blindfolded walk, by Nik Wallenda, across Marina Towers in Chicago, with winds up to 30 mph.

Free climbing: Free climbing is a form of rock climbing, started in 1886. Free Climbing is when a person is climbing a mountain or rock, with no harness. Free Climbing should not be compared to aid climbing because Aid climbing which uses gear to help the climber up the mountain. The highest free climb was at Yosemite El Capitan, it is 7,500 feet above sea level! It was done by a guy named Alex Honnold.