The Solar Eclipse

A picture of the eclipse through a telescope, courtesy of Taylor Bell.

Taylor Bell

Taylor Bell

Aditya Kishore, Taylor Bell, and Anton Clark

The beginning and of the eclipse was intense. Absolutely everybody wanted to see it, not a soul would dare miss it. Hundreds of millions of people congregated into the many regions throughout the totality line, such as Salem, Oregon, to experience the totality. Populations of some states nearly doubled, for those three minutes of darkness. A few days before the event, traffic backed across the country, everyone moving towards the chance to experience the eclipse. The last total solar eclipse that was in the U.S. exclusively  was in 1918. That was 99 years ago, so it’s obvious it’s a big deal. Here at Bowditch, we didn’t see get totality, but we saw an incredible eclipse, the shape of a large crescent moon. Bowditch students gathered outside their classrooms or on the black top, during in 2nd and 3rd period, to view the eclipse. Ms. Smolen, brought out  her large telescope, and a some students had built pinhole viewers. Watching the moon cover the Sun was truly an incredible sight. The entire Journalism class spent almost all of 2nd Period watching the Moon inch across the sky, gradually overtaking the Sun.

This was a spectacular, memorable experience. This may have been the biggest event of the year in America, and it was both humbling and gratifying to have been able to witness it beginning firsthand.

Solar Eclipse | The Totality

By: Anton Clark

Students at Bowditch were not able to see the solar eclipse totality, but I had the opportunity to travel to Oregon to view this mind-boggling work of nature. The solar eclipse started early in the morning; It was about half an hour before totality and the Moon had just crossed the Sun’s path. Me and a group of about 10 people, two of which were my family, all got our solar glasses on and stared at the Sun.

The first part of the solar eclipse was fine, but nothing truly mind blowing. I mean, it seemed like a big black dot was forming on the Sun, but it wasn’t anything really special. It simply was just a neat experience. It was interesting, cool, but not ridiculous, not amazing, not Earth-shattering. I started to wonder if the eclipse was all it was marked up to be. Could it be a flop? Could this, the solar eclipse of the century, be a disappointment? Then, as the doubts in my head reached a climax, the totality happened.

The totality blew my mind. It just expanded everything I thought I knew about beauty and spectacles and life in general. The whole area turned completely dark for about two minutes and the temperature dropped by 20 degrees. The solar corona shot out like tentacles on an octopus and pulsated in color. It was truly spectacular.

After the total eclipse it was another 30 minutes until the solar eclipse was over.

All of it was totally worth the drive.

Solar Eclipse | The Aftermath

By: Aditya Kishore

The aftermath of the solar eclipse was uneventful, compared to the actual event. A hushed tone fell over the nation, as reports of reactions during the end of the eclipse were few and far between. The few reports that existed were simply telling us that most everybody was awed by the incredible spectacle they had just witnessed. Luckily, the most worrisome aspect of the eclipse, the potential for permanent eye damage, failed to prove story-worthy. According to several trusted sources, such as Oregon Live and CNN, doctors found that expectations for number of patients complaining of eclipse-related eye damage were incorrect. Only about 10% the number of patients expected actually ended up complaining of eye damage. Trending searches (millions of searches) on Google’s site included “I hurt my eyes looking at the eclipse” and “My eyes hurt because I looked at the eclipse without glasses.”

Even students at Bowditch fell trap to this strange tendency. Walking down the halls after the eclipse, one could hear at least six or seven students complaining that they had looked at the eclipse without their glasses. One 8th grade student screamed in the halls, “Ahhh! I looked at the eclipse, and now my eyes hurt!” What’s even more surprising is that there were numerous warnings. Television news and internet sites were exploding with warnings about the dangers of looking at the eclipse without protective eyewear, and Ms. Morgan gave specific warnings during announcements.

Aside from this worrying development, the entire event went smoothly. This incredible phenomenon transpired without too many major issues. The beautiful solar eclipse was fully viewable, and the 99 year wait for another U.S. totality was worth it.

A special thanks to Ms. Koyanagi for initiating the purchase of solar eclipse glasses for our Bowditch community and the PTSA for funding this endeavor.